• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how many types of moss in one tank?

Just something I was thinking about...

How many different types of moss can you use in a scape and still have it look decent?

Is using a different type of moss on every branch frowned upon, would it make the scape less harmonius?

What are your thoughts?

What a very good question and one I was struggling with this weekend whilst rescaping using lots of wood. In the end I decided less is more and only used 3 mosses from a possible 12. Still have the option of adding more to bits of stone. I probably will do that but still only add 1 or 2 more.

You could limit yourself to a group of mosses with similar leaf shape if you wanted a more harmonious look e.g. you could have Java, Christmas and Peacock.

Scale could also be something to consider as some species may work better in a nano for example.

What makes the issue more confusing is the same species of moss can grow differently in someone elses tank due to different lighting etc. Also people like to talk about liverworts as mosses which are obviously something different looking again.

This website is a good visual reference;
http://www.aquamoss.net/

Back