• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How many zebrafish for blank small fish tank?

Yalai

''A general rule, zebrafish do best in larger groups. A 20 gallon fish tank is the perfect size to house 10 zebra danios. Keeping fewer than eight zebras in a 5 gallon tank will lead to increased stress and aggression. It’s also important to keep their water temperature between 70 degrees Fahrenheit or 21 degrees Celsius so that they can be happy and healthy.

In general, a 5 gallon fish tank will be big enough for 6 to 7 danios, although a 10 gallon tank is ideal. Alternatively, you can keep three or four small zebrafish in a 5 gallon tank. These are sociable creatures, and you may find it hard to keep three or four in a 5 gallon fish tank with risking their health and well-being.''

Paragraph I got from hygger blog, I want to get some zebrafish for my new tank kit which is almost 5 gal or may be smaller, as mentioned above, can I keep 10 fish in it or less? little fish for 0.6-0.7 inch.

3 gal tank.jpg

A 5 gallon tank is no where near big enough for Danio’s (or indeed any fish) - they’re very active fish. I would say 15 gal minimum and 20 gal ideal.

Seriously Fish is your best resource for looking up species requirements:

Brachydanio rerio – Zebra ‘Danio’ (Brachydanio frankei, Danio rerio) — Seriously Fish

Aquarium Size:

An active species so even a small group needs an aquarium with minimum base dimensions of 90 ∗ 30 cm.

With that size tank you’re looking at shrimp only.

Last edited:
5 gal tank is far to small as you already stated for danios so why the question ?

5 gallons ok for
Shrimp
A Betta
4/5 male guppies
Or a pair of small fish like sparkling gouramis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 gallons is far too small for Guppies, they’re as active as Danio’s.

I don’t want to get into the Betta debate again, but I wouldn’t put one in a 20 litre tank either. I have a 20 litre tank for shrimp, and it’s tiny.

I’ve not kept Sparkling Gourami, so I don’t know how active they are but did I mention . . . a 20 litre tank is tiny!

Last edited:
Hi there.
I agree with no zebra danios and guppies, they'll be manic in that size tank.
I have a 25l rectangular tank with a trio of sparkling gourami and four pygmy Cory's. The tank has plenty of plants, bogwood and botanicals, the gourami are breeding and as it is longer rather than square they have space keep away from each other. They don't swim round excessively, more pottering around the roots and plants but I wouldn't have more than two in your tank, preferably a pair.
Perhaps a single scarlet badis would work if anyone has kept them and knows what they are like?

I’ve not kept Sparkling Gourami, so I don’t know how active they are
Small fish with BIG personalitys. Make full use of the 240l tank I house them in, also folk forget these fish, especially the males can be aggressive towards each other and like to claim territory, they also prefer to be in groups. Not stating these fish wouldn't survive in 20lL tank, would they thrive? I suspect not.

Back