• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much aeration is too much?

Hi all,
because pearling does in my experience correlate strongly to lethargic behaviour in fish when I am really pushing my carbon dioxide injection rates in my planted aquariums at home. Do other people observe this? So potentially livestock have to put up with a pH drop, elevated carbon dioxide, and elevated oxygen levels.
I'm not a CO2 user, but in pond aquaculture, where you have (in our terms) <"grossly polluted"> water <"oxygen supersaturation"> is a known issue in certain conditions, warm water, hot sun, very little water movement. At very elevated oxygen levels <"you can get oxidative damage to fish and shrimp gills etc">*, this paper talks about "total dissolved gas" (TDG) levels. There is some discussion of <"oxidative stress damage"> in mosses in <"'Eruption', my lockdown scape">.
Yes, I remember that thread. @dw1305, do you know where I can find it?
In <"Canford Park">, home of the <"deceased Goldfish"> - on UKAPS at <"A question, dissolved oxygen and a pond">.

*Ji, Qianfeng & Xue, Shudan & Yuan, Quan & Yuan, Yuan & Wang, Yuanming & Liang, Ruifeng & Feng, Jingjie & Li, Kefeng & Li, Ran. (2019). "The Tolerance Characteristics of Resident Fish in the Upper Yangtze River under Varying Gas Supersaturation". International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 16. 10.3390/ijerph16112021.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back