• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much damage will I do by removing co2 from my tank for a week or so?

Since I been having a flashing / flicking issue with my barbs and can't figure it out I trying to rule out some variables.

I would like to experiment with removing co2 from my tank for a few days or a week and see how the fish react.

My question is how do you think my plants will react? I have a ton of money in this tank and don't want to lose it. It's a crypt tank with a Fissidens carpet. It have a finnex planted plus (11 hour photo period), and a eheim pro 3 2075 filter.

Here is a pic for reference.
uploadfromtaptalk1448934872871.jpg

Will my plants be okay if I do this? Will my crypts melt? Will algae explode? Or will it be all okay? I would like your opinion please.

You could pull it off by gradually reducing light initially then following up with gradual decline of CO2. Then you can avoid algae.

Crypts....they may melt though. Difficult to predict.

I'd consider crypt melt to be the biggest concern (if that happens then algae is likely unless you have a good auxiliary plant mass)

Why not just remove some (all?) affected fish to a food safe plastic bin & see how they do there - a simple sponge filter (air driven) can be done very cheaply

I'm sceptical that it's gill flukes, how long have you had these fish? did they "flick" from purchase or develop the behaviour later?

I have had them over 6 months and its been something that developed. Maybe in the last 3 months they been flashing and such.

I got BGA over all the plants when my CO2 stopped for a couple of days. Once CO2 was restored BGA stopped spreading, but required every plant dipping in dilute solution of liquid carbon to get rid of the BGA.

When too much co2 injected in the water, the fish usually are grasping for air on the surface or become lethargic and hide away in the spot with the least current(the lowest concentration of co2).. To me this behaviour looks like a parasite, but not a fish expert.

A way to rule out co2 is to observe the fish behavior on the morning, before the CO2 comes on. If they still do this flickering, then you know it is not the co2. If they do it only when co2 is on and especially at the end of the lighting period, then you know that it is CO2 related. But you don't need to switch off co2 completely, just reduce the bubble counter rate.
I am a fan of 24/7 co2 injection, which from my experience is better for the plants - no fluctuations, constant levels, less stress for the flora and fauna. And probably similar level of co2 usage, due to the reduced rate.

Removing the co2 will cause issues. That is a big change and stress for the system and will affect the plants a lot.

Last edited:
Since I been having a flashing / flicking issue with my barbs and can't figure it out I trying to rule out some variables.

I would like to experiment with removing co2 from my tank for a few days or a week and see how the fish react.

My question is how do you think my plants will react? I have a ton of money in this tank and don't want to lose it. It's a crypt tank with a Fissidens carpet. It have a finnex planted plus (11 hour photo period), and a eheim pro 3 2075 filter.

Here is a pic for reference.
View attachment 78467

Will my plants be okay if I do this? Will my crypts melt? Will algae explode? Or will it be all okay? I would like your opinion please.
my green color crypt survive more than one month without dedicated light and Co2. Everything in my thank melt including hair grass which usually very resilient in my tank. i think crypt hate to be moved but can tolerate very low light and no co2. Just lower your light level to avoid algae. your plants will survive in low light.
884828be5aa6b531c3f911270d5293a5.jpg

the type of crypt i mention is the one located at the front with dark color leaves. it change its color under high light, high co2 and high iron.

fisiden wise i'm not very familiar. In fact i never able to keep moss in my tank

来自我的 MX4 上的 Tapatalk

Back