• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much filter for a UNS 60U?

FISHnLAB

Hey guys, would you put a Fluval 107 or 207 on a 20 gallon(75L) UNS 60U? I will be using an Oase CrystalSkim 350 on it as well(likely on the opposite side of the intake/output). It will be medium to heavily planted low tech with a medium amount of hardscape. One day I will likely convert it to high tech. Thanks👍.

Last edited:
Hey guys, would you put a Fluval 107 or 207 on a 20 gallon(75L) UNS 60U? I will be using an Oase CrystalSkim 350 on it as well(likely on the opposite side of the intake/output)? It will be medium to heavily planted low tech with a medium amount of hardscape. One day I will likely convert it to high tech. Thanks👍.

I have a 60x35x35 tank, same volume as yours with a 207 on it, paid around the same as a 107 so it was a no brainer since you can adjust the flow if required.

I have a 60x35x35 tank, same volume as yours with a 207 on it, paid around the same as a 107 so it was a no brainer since you can adjust the flow if required.
Hi, thanks for the reply, super helpful👍.

So, how low can you go with the flow on the 207? I have a Betta and a Zebra Nerite Snail that will be going in the tank to start as they need an upgrade. Do you think I will be able to achieve the right conditions for them with lots of plants and hardscape? Thanks again.

Hi, thanks for the reply, super helpful👍.

So, how low can you go with the flow on the 207? I have a Betta and a Zebra Nerite Snail that will be going in the tank to start as they need an upgrade. Do you think I will be able to achieve the right conditions for them with lots of plants and hardscape? Thanks again.

My betta is in another tank but I think you would be fine as the filter basically has a lever which you can adjust from 100% down to 0% so you have great control of the flow. You're very welcome!

My betta is in another tank but I think you would be fine as the filter basically has a lever which you can adjust from 100% down to 0% so you have great control of the flow. You're very welcome!
Ok, thank you👍.

Just in case you aren't aware, Fluval states that you should not go any lower then 50% or risk damage to the motor...
Screenshot_20221102-111756_Gallery.jpg

Ok, I have returned the 107 and got the 207 instead. I almost got into trouble as Fluval's sale ended late last night so I would not have been able to get the deal anymore. Luckily, I found one small shop on the other side of the country that still had the deal on(actually an even better one where I get a bunch of added media with it lol). So, it's on the way... Exciting times😁.

Im sad to hear that, but thank you for doing the right thing by her, it can be difficult even if it is a mercy in the total picture

Ok, thank you👍.

Just in case you aren't aware, Fluval states that you should not go any lower then 50% or risk damage to the motor...
View attachment 197193

Doh..that's what I get for not reading the manual, thanks for the info!
Ok, I have returned the 107 and got the 207 instead. I almost got into trouble as Fluval's sale ended late last night so I would not have been able to get the deal anymore. Luckily, I found one small shop on the other side of the country that still had the deal on(actually an even better one where I get a bunch of added media with it lol). So, it's on the way... Exciting times😁.

I think you'll be glad you did, you'll also be able to have the flexibility of using it with more tanks in the future if it's required! Let me know how you like it when it arrives :)

Doh..that's what I get for not reading the manual, thanks for the info!
No problem, I didn't read the manual either lol. I just happened to read that part when investigating how a Fluval canister deals with flow adjustment when deciding what brand to buy.
I think you'll be glad you did, you'll also be able to have the flexibility of using it with more tanks in the future if it's required! Let me know how you like it when it arrives :)
Yeah, I think it is the better option for the extra media basket alone. I will get the flow tamed one way or another. Will do. I will actually be starting a Journal about the build soon I just figured I'd wait a bit until more stuff shows up so I can add some pictures right away.

The other thing to bare in mind is that high flow and high velocity aren’t necessarily the same thing, that’s where Lilly pipes and diffuser outlets come into their own. It’s high velocity that Betts’s struggle with mostly, also bare in mind that big turnovers are intended for when the tank is mature and the plant density slows everything down somewhat.

The other thing to bare in mind is that high flow and high velocity aren’t necessarily the same thing, that’s where Lilly pipes and diffuser outlets come into their own. It’s high velocity that Betts’s struggle with mostly, also bare in mind that big turnovers are intended for when the tank is mature and the plant density slows everything down somewhat.
Good information, thank you👍.

I'm planning to run the stock Fluval plumbing for the first while anyway as I couldn't bring myself to just throw it all out and go straight to glass. Can you recommend a configuration to start with as far as outputs please? I believe it just comes with this...
s-l1600.jpg

I am open to getting the Fluval spray bar kit, another kit of some type, or building a dyi solution(as long as it looks ok). I have never owned a canister nor a tank anywhere near this large before so any input really is always welcome. Thanks again for your help👍.

Last edited:
I would build your scape first and then take a look at your outlets. I personally like the aquario plastic clear outlets a lot but I also use cal aqua lilys from time to time. Horses for courses.

I would build your scape first and then take a look at your outlets.
Isn't that risky considering hardscape could end up in the way of the intake or output? I'm new to this but, with my first scape here I built the scape around the intake and outlets. Same goes for the deciding on plant locations flow wise. Now, that was partially because my tank is so small😂 but, the rationale seams valid no? Please don't take this question as confrontational or anything, I'm just trying to learn and fully understand why things are done a certain way. This hobby is weird in that there are so many "right" ways to do things.
I personally like the aquario plastic clear outlets a lot but I also use cal aqua lilys from time to time. Horses for courses.

Thanks, that video was helpful and I will check out the suggestions. I plan to try a glass one day(although the thought of cleaning it constantly deters me lol) but, I had no idea how many different designs there were or exactly how they affect flow. I think the "Spin Pipe" might be best considering I will be running a powered surface skimmer but, I'm not sure. Too bad they didn't go into spray bars, Y-pipes, and diffusers too I would like to see how a spray bar differs in particular.

Thanks again for all of your help👍.

Edit: I caved after checking out the pipes you suggested and got a set of Aquario Neo Flow Normal pipes with the Neo Reliever and Neo Inlet. Thanks for the suggestion👍. I started a Journal and will post how they work out.

Last edited:
Back