• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much filtration is needed?

FishBeast

I have a 500 ltr tank with 25 rainbows (of varying ages) 2 grown gudgeons, 4 medium columbian tetras 5 siamese cats and 1 oto. I also have 11 ram horn snails. I am wondering how much filtration is needed for a heavily stocked aquarium? Especially since I want to put 100 shrimp in there once I start my tank fresh next time.

I am currently running 1 single aqua one canister filter rated at 3200 ltrs/hr.

Cheers!

Depends on your goals.

Are you after a hi-tech planted tank? In which case you may need to supplement your current filter with either another filter or powerhead(s).

However, If you keep up water changes and other maintenance tasks your current filter is up to the job, I would say.

Do you intend keeping the rainbows and shrimp together? Depending on size and species the shrimp may become an expensive snack.

Yes, I have had a problem with my rainbows eating shrimp. I have another 2 tanks which I am raising them up to a safe size.

My next tank will be high tech. I intend at this stage to keep this current filter and run 6000 ltrs/hr of powerheads which still put me under 10x turnover. My other alternative is to buy another canister filter to add to the tank but I don't want to make things in there too ugly.

FishBeast said:
I intend at this stage to keep this current filter and run 6000 ltrs/hr of powerheads which still put me under 10x turnover.
Am I missing something?

Your tank size is 500 litre, so 10x would be 5000lph. So your current filter (3200lph) plus 6000lph power heads gives almost 20x turnover.

Back