• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much lighting is too much lighting?

Alastair

The reason I'm asking, is I currently have a 100 gallon vision 450 with 4 54 watt t5s and a separate Arcadia starter with 80 watt plant pro. Giving me about 2.9 watts per gallon. How ever I'm getting fed up of the constant having to lift out the light units to trim plants etc. So, I've been looking at two overtank luminares, both 5ft from an online supplier. The first one has 4 80 w t5s, giving me 3.2 watts per gallon and the second has 6 x 80 watts giving 4.8 wpg. The latter is only about 30 pounds more. I'm swaying to the 4 tube one, but would I be ok with the second or is it seriously too much light?

Thanks

the second gives you options and futureproofing though ;)

Imagine you decided to make it a reef tank at some point.... bingo, no need to upgrade!

Simply remove the extra 2 or even 3 tubes. I work on the principle of having the biggest light unit and running it with as little bulbs as I can get away with lol

i guess i could go with the 6 tube option and run only 3 tubes as it does have seperate switches for them. the reason i thought of the second one too, is that my tank is a big bowfront, and with a luminaire over i was a bit worried about how well the light spread would be with the first unit only being 20cm width. plus its a deep tank too

I've got a 4 foot bowfront, 22" deep and run a 6 bulb luminare over it. Currently only got 3 on.

Have a look in my journal thread for pics :)

Back