• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much moss is required for a moss wall?

Kyle D

Seedling
Hello everyone,

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me out. I am about to start building a moss wall for my 190 L tank and I need to know how much moss I need to purchase to successfully start the wall. I will need to cover an area of 92 cm x 46 cm and am planning on using Taiwan moss or Christmas moss.

Thanks!

IMO/E you want enough to be able to cover the entire area with one layer of moss. Does not have to be thickly covered, but I would go for complete coverage.

There is no standard size for moss portions so it is not possible to be any more specific than that. Most portions I have bought would cover an area of between 5cm square to about 10cm squared so you are looking at multiple portions.

Some people sell it by weight, but I have never weighed moss so can not help with that.

I would ask whoever you are getting it from if when spread out it will cover the area you are after.

I would offer to sell you some taiwan moss, but just this week have promised all mine to someone else starting a similar sized wall to yourself. If that falls through (am waiting payment currently) then i will let you know.

Just answered this on another forum. Not too different from a1Matts' answer but if money is tight you could just buy a few portions and spread it about a bit leaving the rest to fill out naturally and plant future trimmings.

Thanks for the information and the offer of the moss. Unfortunately, I'm in Canada so shipping might be a tad expensive.

Iliveinazoo said:
Just answered this on another forum. Not too different from a1Matts' answer but if money is tight you could just buy a few portions and spread it about a bit leaving the rest to fill out naturally and plant future trimmings.

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of that either. How long would it take to fill out?

Edit: And I just noticed that you answered this on the puffer forum as well. Thanks!

hard to say how long it would take to fill out - the moss grows at a fair rate, but needs quite a lot to make a dense wall - a 'thin' wall will be dense in a couple of months as a rough guide

You could start with a smaller wall based on whatever moss you can get.
In a couple of months you would have enough to make a larger wall.

Regular trimming promotes more growth by the way.

Back