• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How much space behind tank?

colmans

Hey folks, how much space do you think is sensible to leave behind a tank? I've run standard tanks before where I needed rear access but do I really need rear access if I have no connections at the back of the tank? I'm trying to fill an alcove but it would mean pushing the tank tight against the back wall which I'm not sure about!

Cheers

Johnny

I’d go with 2-3 cm depending - I’d worry about moisture damage or mould as the alcove will trap everything (unlike a more open wall space) ... depends on your climate/environment mold is more/less likely

(also your house age/structure)

I have mine up against the skirting board so just having had a little Google... probably a 15mm ish gap assuming a few mm of plaster etc.

Thanks guys, the space isn't a true alcove, it's just closed in one side so I'm thinking that I can actually get the tank fully up to the skirting board. See picture attached for location (basically removing the wine rack thing that is there already). It's a very open room (kitchen/diner at around 30ft in length). I'm trying to get the tank as almost an extension of the kitchen units that you can see on the right hand side so it all flows super neatly. If I go the EA Aquascaper 1200 route the tank will stick out a cm or 2 and be slightly below the height of the units, or I go custom and get it all to fully line up with a higher cabinet and slightly taller tank (120 x 50 x 50) to also catch the eyeline more. I'm getting my head spinning around with the options!!

upload_2019-10-14_9-14-29.png

What is the kitchen cabinet height?

I’d not worry too much about everything matching - that partial wall will break the lines anyway

(I’d go with a complimentary (aquarium) cabinet finish rather than trying to match kitchen white)

I'm getting my head spinning around with the options!!
That's because there are countless!

I'm assuming that's the thermostat for your heating etc I can see in the picture and would be almost directly above the aquarium which maybe isn't the best of ideas, you maybe able to relocate the thermostat.

Lots depends on what you want to achieve but having an aquarium made to spec isn't as expensive as you might think, finding the person to build it is the challenge.

Yep, that is a thermostat but it's a wireless one so I can just move that to somewhere else no problem. I do have some pricing to build bespoke so I think I can get that done. Key thing is really whether I'd ever need to get to the back of the tank if all the pipework is at the sides :).

Just be weary who you choose to build your aquarium.

To answer your question about gap behind the aquarium; I like to be able to at least squeeze my arm down there to clean and catch any escapees etc - nothing more annoying than being able to see something and have no way of reaching it easily in my opinion.
If that kind of thing doesn't bother you and you want a minimal gap then that's your choice, so long as there's a clear gap when the aquarium is full and the cabinet is stable I'd think most other equipment could go up a side.

Thanks Andrew, that was exactly my worry :). NACD can build me the tank and cabinet and seem to have a good reputation. If I go down that route then I can leave some space behind as I can go for 50 depth. Off the shelf the Aquascaper is 600mm so will not leave any gap behind. Seems like a small thing but it's the key to influencing the purchase!

Back