• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How often do you get a flash of inspiration?

Steve Smith

Hey gang. I was just reading through a few journals, and had a spark of inspiration for a scape. This seems to happen when I'm looking around day to day for me. I'd say I come up with a few good scape ideas a week (over and above the usual "ooh, that'd look cool" which is at least once a day!) and file them away at the back of my mind for later :)

I have noticed though, that I occasionally get one of those blinding flashes and I can't get the mental image of how I imagine that scape will look out of my head. Right now I have two scapes which keep going around and around :lol: One of them I resorted to trying to sketch, and I think I managed it OK... Enough to have something to refer back too :)

I wondered if anyone else gets this, or something similar. What do you do to keep your imagined aquascapes alive? Do you have a list that you're gradually working to complete, with each new aquascape you do?

I think you're just like...psychic or something Steve. I've never heard of anyone else getting these weird thoughts! :p

Nah only joking, I get them all the time. Mostly from looking at other people's aquascapes. If I see something I like, I try to recreate it or mix it with another idea etc. As to how often, it's just when I see something I like which isn't too often nowadays because I've seen a lot of aquascapes by now. :lol:

Right now I have a mental list of three or four aquascapes I'd definately like to try, with quite a lot more little ideas floating around.

Lots of people have done LEGO in tanks, but has anyone ever done a tank made from LEGO?

I get silly ideas all the time. Making them work is a different story :(

JamesM said:
Lots of people have done LEGO in tanks, but has anyone ever done a tank made from LEGO?
I get silly ideas all the time. Making them work is a different story :(
If you silicone them together pretty well so it doesn't leak I am sure it can be done! You can get clear plastic pieces these days hahaha ;)

"Re: How often do you get a flash of inspiration?"

Not very often truth be known! :lol:

I'm a perpetual beginner when it comes to scaping...I tend to buy plants learn\watch how they grow, then either pass them on, or jiggle the tank so they fit.

I guess that is why I am content with a low tech setup, it fits my slow contemplative nature ;)

I find inspiration every time i go out the house, the UK is such a wonderfully inspiring place. Every time i hit North Wales i come back ooozing with new thoughts on rock placement, river banks, moss in the crevices of hardscape and all sorts. Inspiration is always there, for me, i just have to look in the right places.
It's these things that i refer to when trying to imagine an aquascape, whether its a mountain range or a cluster of rocks at the edge of a river.

A quote from Graeme Edwards' recent PFK article about using nature for aquascaping inspiration......

"With eyes wide open we enjoy what nature has to offer. We absorb all her inspiration, from the smallest environments to our epic rainforests.

We can all appreciate our green spaces in life, from the grandest country parks to the wildest mountains or even the city court yard garden. Flora and fauna makes us all feel good. It taps into our ancient animal, evoking a sense of home, relaxation and tranquillity, no matter how big or small the green spaces that we are exposed to. For many people interested in aquatic artistry, this is the feeling and emotion that the artist is trying to provoke within the setting of an aquarium."

Wow i tell you guys when im in the artic (thats the truck not theeee artic),as your so high you see things from a higher angle,so i get loads of ideas in the morning by mid day they have changed to jungle scapes,by tea time im on to iwagumis, :lol: :lol: ,
regards john.

Why are you in a truck, John?
I do all the time, but I never get chance to implement them, being incapable of growing plants and illiterate in the art of aquascaping. That and the prohibitive costs of it all.

Garuf said:
Why are you in a truck, John?I do all the time, but I never get chance to implement them, being incapable of growing plants and illiterate in the art of aquascaping. That and the prohibitive costs of it all.

Hi garuf,i am a qualified hgv assessor,and self employed hgv driver,i have a degree in employment law,and a qualified transport manager (cpc),

regards john.

I get flashes of inspiration daily too. Quite often when i'm trudging around the warehouse at Tesco's where i work i'll be thinking to myself ideas of plants, rocks, fish. Often getting so excited i cant wait for the shift to end so i can get home and research plants and other such trivial things.

My fallback is my ability to grow plants healthy without algae taking over. To say the least its quite poor, but if you were to see my 3ft Rio 180 most people would be horrified at the extent to which thick brush algae has taken over. Entire pieces of bogwood are just a big black and blue furry object. That is NO exageration unfortunately. Anubias leaves have thick black furry edges and intense dark spots all over.

Hopefully my latest 2ft set-up won't suffer the same shortfalls. Its my latest inspirational idea, and the first one i've attempted to implement in well over a year. Wish me luck :) If it goes well, i may even post a journal :D

I tend to go through spells where I aget ideas but problem is I have quite a few interests and my motivation isn't good at the best of times. lol

Currently in a dip where I have to force myself even to dose the tanks and do the maintenance. My pool games rubbish and I wish I didn't have to go and haven't bothered going out for a ride.

Then all of a sudden something will trigger me out of it and I want to do everything and don't have the time :) Probably when I'm in Portugal next month and unable to do so. lol

AC

I get alot of ideas from other peoples scapes but I also spend alot of time sitting in front of my tank running ideas through my mind. Alot of the time I feel as though I am feeling blind in the dark as serious planted tanks are something which are new to me. In all honesty I would have to say I am trying to learn from the bottom up from study and looking at other scapes whilst aiming to create something which comes from (as much as possible) my own creativity.

Back