• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How often to clean filters during the initial maturing / cycling process?

CheckeredRust

Hey all, I am about 3 days in to my new planted tank. I am using a 'hang on back' filter. On the intake tube, I put an additional sponge to protect future shrimps, and also I heard that it's serves as an additional media for beneficial bacteria to grow. However, as of just few days, I can visually see some leaves and dirt / gunk stuck on the intake tube's sponge. Should I clean it during my next water change or just leave filters until the end of the maturation cycle?

I've attached a photo of the type of sponge I'm describing.

1623141892124.png

Essentially you've made yoursef a little pre-filter, who's primary function is to catch the rubbish so you can remove it easily. This is really useful cos it means you don't have to clean the main filter as much. The pre-filter can be useful for additional surface area for bacteria, but don't worry too much about that, you have your HOB filter to do most of that bacterial work, this is just a little bonus to catch rubbish.

The detritus that gets stuck in the sponge will slow the filter's flow down, so I would clean it. When you do your next waterchange, just take it off and squeeze it a few times into the water from the waterchange to get it clean again.

Last edited:
Back