How often to feed fish and otos

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Deano3, 22 Jan 2020.

1. Deano3

Deano3 Member

Hi everyone just curious if feed fish daily and how often do you drop courgette or red pepper in to tank for otos ?

Lastly can i cut up courgette then freeze as dont want to waste it all.

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2. tam

tam Member

Yes, it will freeze fine. I probably use veg once every couple of weeks, but they could have it a few times a week. Mine will happily eat algae waffers and rapashy (also freezes) and my tank is fairly fuzzy rather than spotless so there is plenty of natural food too. I think it's going to depend on your tank and the number of otos you are trying to feed. Lots in a spotless tank will need more food added than a lower number in a algae coated one.

Oldguy likes this.
  3. Majsa

Majsa Member

I normally feed the fish once a day, but I have juveniles in one tank and new fish in another, and they get fed twice a day.

My otos get a small piece of red pepper once or twice a week, it stays in the clip for several days and I only change it once it's eaten (=only the peel is left). Though they are less keen on it now that they found out that dried food is edible too (it took them ±two years to figure it out, spinach sticks did the trick).

Oldguy and dw1305 like this.
  4. Amanda C

Amanda C Newly Registered

My fish are fed once a day, part of that feed is Rapashy soilent green which the Otos love. I make the Rapashy up in ice cube trays and then chop the cubes down to smaller chunks dependant on what fish are in the tanks. I make enough for 2 weeks at a time and keep it in the fridge.

BarryH, Oldguy and dw1305 like this.
  5. Aquarium hope

Aquarium hope Newly Registered

I feed the otos once a week with frozen courgette slices blanched in hot water for a minute.

Deano3 and Oldguy like this.
  6. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

I feed once or twice a day, but not every day. A slice of cucumber is almost always in the tank. Otos seem to ignore it but it keeps the giant oto Hypoptopoma gulare & the red lizard whiptails Rineloricaria sp. L010A happy. Hopefully leaving more natural biofilm for the Otos. What goes on after lights out is anyone's guess and yes I have been known to view with a torch in the small hours. Always surprised at how quickly fish in general wake up.

Is that a ferret in a cardboard tube?
    Just bought some Rapashy from eBay, thanks for flagging it up guys. Always learning on this forum.

dw1305 likes this.
  7. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Deano3 and Oldguy like this.
  8. BarryH

BarryH Member

Amanda, with the Repashy coming out of the freezer, is it as simple as letting it thaw out and then feeding?