• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how red are your cherry reds.

louis_last

It seems there is a wide range of colour intensity for these from almost transparent to the 'sakura' variety available in the east. It also seems that the colour standard for them in America is generally better too.
Just how red are your cherry red shrimp? does anybody have any of the really red ones?

on the left we have crystal red shrimps, and the ones lacking in white markings are cherry shrimps.
DSCF3489.jpg

cherry shrimp and caridina cf. babaulti (brown one, similar to cherry shrimp in markings)
DSCF3479.jpg

DSCF3480.jpg

it varies a lot as you can see, but im currently isolating my reddest 3 females and reddest 2 males for a little project 8)

mr. luke said:
it varies a lot as you can see, but im currently isolating my reddest 3 females and reddest 2 males for a little project 8)
When I setup the new shrimp tank I am planning on doing the same thing :)

You do know that only females take on the super blood red colouration? It's very rare for males to be so very red unless they're forcibly bred that way.

i have 2 stunning red males, hence my 2-3 ratio in my potential line breeder. but i agree, these 2 are the only blood red males ive noticed out of my hundreds+ of cherry shrimp

Lovely pictures Mr Luke!

As you didn't put any description by them, is it worth pointing out (for when newcomers to shrimp look at this forum) that the shrimps with little white stripes, and four white dots on the tails in your pictures aren't cherry shrimps, but crystal red shrimp (a different species)?

I just think the pics could be confusing, as the title of the thread refers to cherry red shrimps.

Both your cherries and your CRS look great, thanks for the pics.

Mark

Done :)
and you can also see one of my 'sakura cherry shrimps' on the far left of the last photo 8)
notice the extra wide line and higher density of red speckling

here are some of my cherry reds as you can see the females are v red!

web.jpg

web.jpg

Nice pictures, very red shrimp. I've got to get some. where did you get yours?

LondonDragon said:
Those are really amazing cherries Andy :) when can I have some??? ;)

Hopefully soon! I have 5 that deep red colour(females) and 2 males.

I picked them up last yr at a maidenhead aquatics in Derby, they have not had any for a while.

They are the best i have come across and haven't found anymore of that standard! Although i will keep looking!

Andy

Another pic

web.jpg

Just to see if i can post a video, its worth the wait :wideyed:
web.jpg

OK VIDEOS DONT WORK! :arghh: Was great shrimp Vid!

They vary considerably depending on size in my set up. Starting off pretty translucent to a deep red the larger they are.

They're quite well hidden in my 370 litre amongst the dense planting but I managed to find a 'medium' size shrimp out and about...

edit - Thanks to LondonDragon for these little bezzlers!

Back