• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to Acclimate shrimp?

I do 45 minute acclimatisation for the more expensive and delicate species, I empty the contents into a jug, then I take some air ling and tie a knot in it so it limits the flow, then I start a siphon from the tank allowing 2-3 drips a second, as the jug fills up you can empty it into the bucket, but don't be too rough with the shrimp.

for the hardier species like cherries I just do 15 minute acclimatization in the same way but allowing more drips.

I pretty much do a similar drip approach but over an hour and for any species. I find it easy if you empty the contents of the bag into a large lunchbox container and mark the level of the water on the outside with a drywipe marker so you can see how much water has been added. Also means you've got plenty of room for manoeuvre for when you want to scoop/net them out. I drop in some moss or filter floss into the container too for the shrimp to hold onto to make them feel more secure and less spooked.

If you use a big food bag clip to hold the airline on the side of the tank it usefully also limits the flow.

Check out this link too;
http://www.planetinverts.com/Acclimating New Shrimp.html

I float them in the bag and add a shotglass full of water every 5-15 minutes or so depending on the species.
With neocaridina i tend to just dip them a couple of times as i would hardy fish.
But for my cardinals i spent a little over 2 hours on them.

Similar to whats been said...............especially with CRS costing £££££££££.

I again use a slow drip, using airline and a adjustable tap/valve, so i can regulate the drips to whatever speed i wish.
At the same time i drop some java moss in. i use a darkish container. Try and make it take a min of 1hr.

The shrimps are always netted, and the water discarded.
I usually find if your careful you can lift them out on the moss.

Back