• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to balance my tank?

RichardWidman

Seedling
My aquatic hobby was induced by my Daughter bringing home goldfish from a school trip...Wife bought a 14L tank to keep them in and I eventually ‘took over’ the duties to look after them.

We added some tetra, shrimp and snails when the goldfish died off, trying to follow the advise of the LFS. Recently I added a small loach.

Now my 2 snails have suddenly proliferated to 30+ baby snails. Most of the shrimp died left with 2 adults and a baby.

I see the gravel has lots of small crustaceans scurrying around. The snail population keeps growing and I want the shrimp population to increase.

Any suggestions how to proceed from here? I am thinking of buying more shrimp, but not sure what to do about the gravel population of small life forms.

Welcome! :)
What kind of tetras? They vary a lot in size and requirements.
Also what kind of loach? Same applies, plus most are only happy in a shoal.
Crustaceans in the gravel are usually harmless, but a huge population could indicate overfeeding. Probably ostracods, could be isopods or amphipods. Your loach might eat them (depending on its species) although ostracods can pass through a fish undigested.
What kind of shrimp?
Did the shrimps that died show any symptoms?
Cherry shrimps are the easiest, what they need to successfully increase their numbers is shelter for the babies eg dense plants such as moss, or lots of hardscape, - wood and rocks with crevices to hide in until they are big enough to avoid getting eaten by fish.
Crystal shrimps are more fussy about water conditions. Amano shrimp don't normally breed successfully in freshwater.
Basically, if you can give us a lot more info we should be able to help :)
And photos are good if you can.

Back