• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to change LED?

No idea, solder melts at 220C (lead free stuff) so needs to be say 300C. Main thing is not temp but air flow so you don't destroy something you shouldn't.

At work I use the guns on hottest (6 out of 6, setting or 5 if being careful) but low air flow so as to not damage other things.

Looking at the data for Cree XM-L LED's you should be able to remove the LED using just a soldering iron (been there done that, got T-shirt etc).

Apply more solder to edge of LED, doesn't matter about shorting contacts (leaded solder will flow better, if you can get it). Apply soldering iron and hold until solder under LED melts and lift LED off using tweezers or fingers if "hard".

To replace LED, solderwick the pads clean, place LED on, ensure right way round, apply solder, probably all sides need solder applying to ensure good coverage. Use solder wick to remove excess solder. Check not shorted using a meter and job done.

Sounds a cheaper way then paying for a heat gun which seems abit risky.

Everything I have looked for surface mounted they heat the star on hot plates which is impossible in my case!

Thanks Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back