• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how to change tank?

chilled84

Ok here it is. I have a tank set up right now and i have just bought a bigger tank. I want to reuse all the stuff i have in old tank includeing substraight. How do i go around transfering.

Only main reason why im asking is im concerned i may disrupt the substraight and end up with a major amonia spike withing new tank or in process when removeing substraight i might kill off some of the nitrafieing bacteria. Could you exsplain the best way around this. I googl;e and found not alot.

I've done it this before, might not be the right or best way but it worked fine for me.

- Remove livestock to a bucket or other tank. I also kept the filter and heater running with them but they should be fine for a little while withought that. Keep the filter wet though.
- Put the plants in said bucket.
- Drain the tank as much as possible. Keep as much water as you can.
- Put substrate in new tank. Try not to disturb it as much as possible.
- Fill tank back up with as much old tank water as you could keep and new water if needed. Slowly!
- Add hardscape, plants, filter, heater, fish etc and whatever else. in that order.
- I also did daily water changes for a week or so just to be on the safe side bcause I've never used a tester of any sort. Either do that or monitor the water chemistry closely.

Hope that helps. :)

Clive will tell you, there's no point keeping as much water as possible as all the good bacteria is in the substrate and on the decor, etc.

If you're getting a bigger tank, I'm assuming you're getting a bigger filter? In that case, remove fish an put in another tank or suitable container and run the old filter.

Swap the substrate over to the new tank and run a new filter with some old media for a week or so until ammonia has cleared up, then add fish.

Good Luck i Moved a 6x2x2 Marine Tank into a 10x4x3 and it tokk me from 6am to 8pm

But wow was it worth it

Thread can still be found on Ultimate Reef

Steve

sgl101 : Post a link Id love to see it.

chilled84 : You could run some activated carbon and/or zeolite in the filter for the first week or so if you think that you might stir up something nasty. Make sure you have enough space around the tanks to work. If the new tank is going in the same place as the old one then chuck all the water and fill the gravel in a bucket. Dont try filing it in the new tank and moving it around, dont want any breakage

Back