• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to clean the plants of ALGAE?

Piece-of-fish

Hi everyone, have a question here.
I am planning on rescaping my 180 Juwel, wondered if and how it would be possible to clean already infected plants of different types of algae. Any experience on that?
Regards.

Hi,what you need to do is remove all the infected leaves,if the
Whole plant is infected then you need to remove it and try to save some by takeing a cutting and replanting,but the best way to get rid of algae is by removeing the cause of the problem,which h can be a number of things,
1,ustable co2
2,tank cleaniness
3,lack of correct nutrients,
4,lack of flow within the tank
5,too much light
6,not enough plants

Until all these things are adressed/ and stable with the setup you will always struggle with algae ,
Regards john

Thanks John. Yes i am aware of that all and i hope i will do better in my second attempt. Some things will definitely be changed, i will start EI, add much more flow (currently there is no flow at all as at the moment i set up the tank i was not aware of such a thing as planted tank and read somewhere that angels dont like the flow so killed it completely, discovered Mr Amano afterwards, got hooked and started to get all equipment little by little since then as well as read forums a lot), and try to add more CO2 with 2 DIY 2l bottles instead of one (cant afford pressurized at the moment unfortunately). The thing is almost all plants are affected and i just cant afford to buy a new collection at the moment so somehow i do need to clean them.
I will throw away just the most affected ones then try to remove as much algae as i can by hand then after rescaping maybe go with blackout?
Any comments?

if you cant afford pressurised co2 at the moment then i would go for low light plants,you could then use easy carbo or excel as your co2 supply,if you went for a yeast based co2 unit or cannister style you will never get stable co2,if you decide to go for low light plants then 1wpg of light is fine in my opinion just make sure you use lots of plants from the off,
plants to go for are crypts of which there is a vast amount to choose from,anubias,very slow growing and can get algae no matter how clean your setup is,various moss species,some of which grow quite quickly,microsorium windelov,and java ferns,microsorum pteropus,narrow,and philipine,
regards john.

Back