• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to combine external filters

Egmel

This is for my Juwel rekord 120 (101L x 46H x 31W cm ~ 120l).

I've just bought the eheim 2215 that Aaron was selling on the B/S/S section and I'll be running it alongside my 2213.

Now this will give me 620lph + 440lph = 1060lph and I currently have the original juwel filter (400lph) still running in the tank as well - a total of 1460 lph which puts me nicely in the 10x ball park.

my question is how do I go about combining the 2 external filters to get the best turnover?

I am slightly limited since I still have the original Juwel filter in the tank, this takes up the back right hand corner.

I currently have the 2213 intake on the left hand side and the spray bar is central-ish across the back.

So now for the questions:

:? Am I right in thinking that I would be best off keeping the 2 filters' inflow and outflow separate rather than trying to combine them?

:? Assuming the above, what's the best positioning of the 2 intakes and outputs? Ideally I would mirror them and have one intake and output on each side with the spraybars running across the back of the tank and maybe even joining in the middle. However I can't do this without removing the internal Juwel Filter, something I'm prepared to do but which will require me stripping down the tank which I wont have time for until August at the earliest! :rolleyes:

:? The 2213 currently has my external heater on it and I have on order one of Ed's external CO2 reactors... would I be best putting both of these flow restrictions on one filter or should I have one on each?

Many thanks for any help in advance :D

What about the intakes? Both at the same end? I'll probably have to mod the hood to fit all this in!

Tom said:
I would put them one each end at the opposite corner to the outlet
Which means removing the internal juwel filter.

Hi Egmel,
I haven't seen where it makes that much difference where the intake pipes are mounted. The differences hydrodynamically are not as dramatic as the location and orientation of the outlets, which generally have a dominant effect on flow patterns, although there may be differences in the amount of detritus removed. I'd just stick them where they cause the least amount of angst. :?

Cheers,

Thanks for that Clive, I'll probably go for one at each end if I can fit one inside the Juwel filter, otherwise I'll pop them both at one end.

Cheers.

i have 2 filters on my rekord 120. intakes at each end and at the left side on the back i have a spraybar and the right side at the back i have a plastic lilly pipe outlet type thing which pushes the water past my heater and is better for flow lower down in the tank. i havent modded the hood at all, my filters fit nicely.

Nick16 said:
i have 2 filters on my rekord 120. intakes at each end and at the left side on the back i have a spraybar and the right side at the back i have a plastic lilly pipe outlet type thing which pushes the water past my heater and is better for flow lower down in the tank. i havent modded the hood at all, my filters fit nicely.
Excellent, I was a bit worried that it would be too tight a fit in the current holes.

On my 240l tank i have an External filter, and an eheim compact pump.

Two intakes.

One Spraybar running along the back of the tank. The returns are plumbed into a tee just before they enter the tank, then a short hose onto the spraybar.

Cheers Gordon.

Back