• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to know if your tank is cycling...

AlexH

Hi guys...

Im into my second week of a fishless cycle.

I've got ADA AS down which is leeching.

I've just performed my second 90% water change.

I'm not great at reading the test results. .. so I'm not sure how accurate I am... but here goes:

22nd Oct - Ammonia: 1.2, Nitrate: 15 (approx) and Nitrite: 0.8
26th Oct - Ammonia: 1.2, Nitrate: 7.8 and Nitrite: 1.2-1.3
28th Oct - Ammonia: 1.0, Nitrate: 7.8 and Nitrites: 1.2-1.1.2-1.3

I guess my first concern is the nitrate and nitrite test make the water pink I dont know how accurately I'm reading the results.

Secondly, just done a big water change. I realise ive been refilling the tank from my hose pipe with freezing water.

Today, I filled most the tank (85%) and topped up the rest with very high temp water.

I've been using a water purifier that also adds live bacteria.

Is it possible that I killed my filter bacteria on the first occasion when I re filled fully with cold water?

And is my tank cycling?! >.<

Feedback appreciated folks :)

Thanks!
Alex

Are you adding dechlorinator? Chlorine will kill the bacteria and stall the cycle or even cause it to be restarted every time you change water.

The presence of dechlorinator and chlorine will give erroneous test results as well.

Are you adding dechlorinator? Chlorine will kill the bacteria and stall the cycle or even cause it to be restarted every time you change water.

The presence of dechlorinator and chlorine will give erroneous test results as well.

Hello ian_m, I want to ask a bit silly question I think... but still I need to ask... when using dechlorinator (in my situation Seachem Prime) do I need to use it directly in to the tank when doing weekly 50% water changes after I change the water or do I need to use it before I add water to the tank (use separetly in a bucket or large water filled container) and then add treated water to the tank?

Hello ian_m, I want to ask a bit silly question I think... but still I need to ask... when using dechlorinator (in my situation Seachem Prime) do I need to use it directly in to the tank when doing weekly 50% water changes after I change the water or do I need to use it before I add water to the tank (use separetly in a bucket or large water filled container) and then add treated water to the tank?

If you pour the new water directly into the tank, then add prime for the entire tank volume. Otherwise, just treat each bucket for its volume.

P.S. There is no need to treat for nitrAtes during cycling because the test converts any available nitrItes to nitrAtes Therefore you'd always get a nitrate reading in an uncycled tank if there is any nitrites.

If you pour the new water directly into the tank, then add prime for the entire tank volume. Otherwise, just treat each bucket for its volume.

But what about weekly water changes? what will happen if i leave 50% tank water and add 50% new water directly to the tank and then use prime to treat it? will it harm the fish and filter bacteria?

So the only right way to treat water is just in separate container or bucket?

But what about weekly water changes? what will happen if i leave 50% tank water and add 50% new water directly to the tank and then use prime to treat it? will it harm the fish and filter bacteria?

So the only right way to treat water is just in separate container or bucket?
I fill my tanks straight from the tap with a hosepipe, add prime to the tank for the tank volume, never had any issues with fish or filter bacteria.

No, I've done that for years. I do put the prime directly into the tank just before I start pouring the new water.

This is what im currently doing... and for safe keeping keeping I always add a little extra ontop of the normal dosage.

The instructions for prime state either add into container the right amount or if dosing the tank, regardless of water % change, always dose for the tank volume.

No, I've done that for years. I do put the prime directly into the tank just before I start pouring the new water.

I read on Seachem website that prime is active and treats water in just about 2 minutes. The question is if you pour prime before new water goes in to the tank will it be the same 100% active after you will finish pouring new water to the tank because it can take longer then 10-15 min to fill the tank to the top?

I read on Seachem website that prime is active and treats water in just about 2 minutes. The question is if you pour prime before new water goes in to the tank will it be the same 100% active after you will finish pouring new water to the tank because it can take longer then 10-15 min to fill the tank to the top?

As other mentioned, I never had a problem doing it this way. I do put a bit more prime than needed up to a 2x dose. Don't worry about the filling time. Prime is active for the next 24hrs as far as I know so unless it takes you a day to fill the tank :)...

How long should i wait after adding the dechlorinator to the water before restarting the filter?

Approximately...

Thanks
Alex

As other mentioned, I never had a problem doing it this way. I do put a bit more prime than needed up to a 2x dose. Don't worry about the filling time. Prime is active for the next 24hrs as far as I know so unless it takes you a day to fill the tank :)...

Hmm I am no expert thats why I am asking :) also what is written in Seachem website along with dechlorination time (works in about 2 minutes) that prime binds Amonia and nitrites for up to 24-48 hours... Because my english isn't a born language I am trying to figure out the exact prime working principle... is it active and like you say dechlorinates for up to 48 hours or it just binds amonia ant nitrite spikes for up to 48 hours but dechlorination process is done within 2 minutes and thats it :) I am sorry if my questions looks stupid to more experienced fish keepers :) but I like to ask till I understand how it really works. Thank you.

Thank you everyone for the answers! Thats all I wanted to know that it is completely safe to pour 50% of new water directly to the tank with fish and plants inside it and then treat a full tank volume with Prime according to dosage instructions, wait a couple of minutes, start filter again and that the fishes will not be effected or harmed by chlorine when the new water (not yet treated with Prime) is introduced to the tank with 50% old water.

Thanks,
Tadas

And is my tank cycling?! >.<

what are the tap water values?

Is it possible that I killed my filter bacteria on the first occasion when I re filled fully with cold water?
unlikely - it's actually quite difficult to "kill" bacteria, though you can slow them down substantially ("bacteriostat" vs "bacteriocide")

I'm a but dubious of the claims to "read" (measure) various compounds to the degree of accuracy implied by that decimal reading, ie
etc

What value do you get when you perform sample readings in duplicate? triplicate?

Test 1
remove volume of water from tank & test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate in duplicate (report values)

Test 2
remove a second sample of water from tank & test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate in duplicate

Test 3
repeat Tests 1 & 2 using tap water in place of tank water
- this should give you "control" or "background" readings

Test 5
Check kits readings/your technique using the positive standards supplied with test kits, eg ammonia, nitrite, nitrate
(if there are none, look for test kits that include these)

Test 6
Add ammonia to tank to provide an expected 2 ppm ammonia
- check tank water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate values

Add ammonia to tank to provide an expected 4ppm ammonia
- check tank water values

Doing all of this will give you an idea of how accurate/relevant your present data is.

Back