• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to make Ada sand? Crazy...

HarryRobinson said:
Sounds like a lot of merky water to me! Got any pictures of the product? :)

Like most substrates Harry, you would probably need to give it a rinse ;)

Got pics, let me see how to put them from the iphone. I just dumped it today into the tank, at 1700. Some got on top of the plants, but the ottos will soon sort it..
5692ef4d-5121-47fb.jpg

It is on top of Ebi Gold substrate (same size as amazonia).

I did not even rinse it, so now I have floating some pieces of wood or grass. :) will scoop them, that was the only issue.

If this works out I will not need to buy power sand, making this technique perfect for HC.

The moulinex was given to me by my mother, it is at least 15 years old.. :) was previously used to mash up moss, which is now growing on a micro tank.

HarryRobinson said:
Sounds like a lot of merky water to me! Got any pictures of the product? :)

Does this look murky? :)

Two hours after dropping it, water was not lowered at all, just stopped the filters and koralia while dropping the powder.

5692ef4d-54e0-0a62.jpg

Aqua sobriquet said:
What about blitzing some of Tesco's finest (cat litter) with the Moully next? :D

Grrr :twisted: Bloody cat litter rears its ugly head again, LOL. No No No No No !

Although I may try it with some of my colombo florabase..... :geek:

Luis, your idea was very innovative. Maybe you should buy it and blitz it then repackage it, double the price and sell it on ;) What gave you the idea and why did you want to do it in the first place ? Just to try, or did you want a nutritious sand. Or something nicer for corys ?

Antipofish said:
Although I may try it with some of my colombo florabase..... :geek:

Luis, your idea was very innovative. Maybe you should buy it and blitz it then repackage it, double the price and sell it on ;) What gave you the idea and why did you want to do it in the first place ? Just to try, or did you want a nutritious sand. Or something nicer for corys ?

Funny story really. Wife made some steaks for dinner the night before and when I tried them for lunch today they were as hard as leather. Not to worry, got the moulinex, some pepper, and garlic and minced the lot. Then fried it with egg.

Eating it the meat was like powder. After lunch I had a conference call with some guys in malta and ireland, and was looking at the tank. Looked at the substrate and thought maybe I should have bought more ebi sand. :)

Looked down and saw the plate of food, moulinex still in the kitchen and a bad of amazonia being prepped for a micro tank on the floor, to setup with the kids later at night.

Shiitttee.. No way!! Will it work? LOL..

After the call I rushed to the kitchen, washed the moulinex, with a cereal bowl dropped some substrate on the moulinex and pushed down, instant powder.

Now how to put it on the tank... Stopped the filters and koralia. Lowered carefully the bowl with the powder, and just sprinkled over the plants, and then pushed down with the hands. After 10 minutes turn on the filters and koralia and was amazed at how it just came up all together.

Came to the forum and decided to share. It should work with any substrate. ;)

Back