• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to make DIY TPN+?

aaronnorth

48g Potassium Nitrate
2.2g Potassium Phosphate (monobasic)
17g Magnesium Sulphate Heptahydrate (Epsom Salts)
5g Aqua Essentials Trace Elements Mix
0.4g E300 Ascorbic Acid
0.2g E202 Potassium Sorbate
500ml distilled water

so i get the above to make it, but do i have to have distilled water?

and do i mix the whole lot in at once?

Paragraph 2 of How Do I Make It States:

Code:
As an example here is a formulation that could be used:

17g  Potassium Nitrate
3.5g  Potassium Phosphate (monobasic)
3.5g  Potassium Sulphate
8.0g  Magnesium Sulphate Heptahydrate (Epsom Salts)
6g  Aqua Essentials Trace Elements Mix
0.5g  E300 Ascorbic Acid
0.2g  E202 Potassium Sorbate
500ml distilled water

Cheers,

I make it in batches of 1.5l and I don't use distilled water. I filter and boil the water first though (don't forget to allow it to cool otherwise if you're mixing in a pop bottle it can get messy!).

Seems to last in the bottom of my cupboard happily enough with no settling or things growing in it. Fish are all fine, though I think my shrimps and snails have had enough of me overdosing the tank recently so am going back to normal dosing levels!

Right so I can get this from AE:
10g Potassium Nitrate
1.0g Potassium Phosphate (monobasic)
4.0g Potassium Sulphate
and obviously their trace elements mix.

I can get distilled water no problem. And I'm guessing that epsom salts are the same as what you get from the chemist.

But where do I get:
0.5g E300 Ascorbic Acid
0.2g E202 Potassium Sorbate

??

That's the stuff. Have you looked on ebay as you can normally get it cheaper if it's available.

James

Right, I'm not really up for mixing enough just for 250-500ml.
Anyone had any experience mixing up litres of this stuff? does it keep?

I make 1.5l batches and dose about 10-15ml a day, seems to keep fine in the cupboard under my tank until it runs out.

I kept a bottle in the cupboard for six months and it seemed fine. It probably is better to use it quicker than that as I have no real way of knowing what reactions are taking place in the bottle. When iron reacts with phosphate an insoluble precipitate is formed. As long as you don't see this then you can presume that then iron is still locked up in the chelator.

James

JamesC said:
When iron reacts with phosphate an insoluble precipitate is formed. As long as you don't see this then you can presume that then iron is still locked up in the chelator.
That's basically what I check for, if there's anything floating or sinking in it!

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll carry on in this one seeing as its the same subject.
I'm about to start measuring up to make my own TPN+ and I'm just wondering what the epsom salts are for?

Ok then. Thanks.

Thinking I'm just going to make up a 500ml batch at a time. Was hoping to make larger amounts, but all the talk of iron insolubles forming. Sure doing a new batch every couple months won't be any great shakes.

Back