• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to make my hairgrass carpet, spread and grow quicker?

Emyr

Hi Everyone,

My hairgrass carpet is taking a while to spread and looking a very dark green. I want it to cover the whole of the from of the tank but it is taking so long and the new runner shoots are taking ages to come through. The tank has been up and running for a month and a bit now. I was planning on adding some HC in the corner but am unsure on the idea until the hairgrass is flourishing. Any suggestions?

My Tank specs are:

60L
Flourite black substrate
X2 24W Arcadia T5 tubes. (1 plant pro, 1 original tropical) on for 8 hours a day.
X1 15W AquaFX LED bulb
RO water
Rena XP4 filter
Pressurised CO2 with ceramic diffuser 1 bubble per 3 seconds.
Dosing Seachem liquid ferts.
-Trace
-Flourish
-Excel
-Iron
-Nitrogen
-Phosphorus
-Potassium.

Thanks.

Re: How to make my hairgrass carpet, spread and grow quicker

Hi,

the hairgrass may still be adapting. Was it in its emersed form when planted? if so it will take a bit longer to adapt.

Also, 1 bubble per 3 seconds of CO2 on a 60L seems rather low. I would start with 1 bubble per second and then raise if necessary.

Hope this helps

GM

It was emersed in the LFS when I bought it then planted it in the tank without water and filled it up along with the other plants. I think you may be right, It may just still be adapting. Just seems to be a very dark green and I want it to spread quickly.

Okay, I thought that might be the case. I have upped the CO2 to 1 bubble per second.

Thanks.

How did you plant it ? clumps or did you split the pot/s up ?

If you have enought ligths on the bottom of the tank, this will work just need to wait a little.
Earlier when i had this carpet i added in some bottom fertilizers to the soil. That really boosted my carpet at the beginning.

I know many guys feels that bottom ferts are not needed, but worth a try. Sometimes the growth is really visible.

I planted it by taking the main clumps that it came in and separating them into much smaller little clumps then planted about 1 inch apart.

Well surely with 63Watts of light in the 60 litre tank that is enough light for it to carpet?

Emyr said:
Well surely with 63Watts of light in the 60 litre tank that is enough light for it to carpet?

It's plenty.

Once you've planted it, trim it down instantly. Grass sp. take a while to adapt to their surroundings, and IME, light can vary the green intensity of the grass.

Back