How to plant a low-maintenance Nature Aquarium

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by George Farmer, 29 Jul 2016.

1. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

The video says it all... :)

Amanda C, Simes, Odogg and 16 others like this.
  2. Alexander Belchenko

Alexander Belchenko Member

Can you please update the status of the tank after 2-3 months? Love the crypts and how you mix them together. Wanna see how it will develop over time.

rebel and George Farmer like this.
  3. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Sure. :)

They'll be regular video updates on my YouTube channel, which I'll share on here too. Please subscribe to my channel to ensure you don't miss out! :)

4. Alexander Belchenko

Alexander Belchenko Member

I'm already your subscriber for last few years as I registered here on UKAPS. :)

5. Martin Osmond

Martin Osmond Member

This is exactly the sort of thing i was looking for. Hoping to change my 120cm Mbuna tank over to a planted tank soon, was considered going high tech but will follow this with interest to see how it turns out.

Are you planning on adding any co2?

John S likes this.
  6. Ryan Young

Ryan Young Member

Martin, think he says at the end he is going to add the Co2 and get timer hooked up etc.

7. Ryan Young

Ryan Young Member

George, quick question. You said you pump the water straight from the tap but how do you dechlorinate it during that process without having to fill up a container? Becoming a bit stressful carrying a 30l container up a flight of stairs 3-4 times when I need to change my water :(

8. hogan53

hogan53 Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi Ryan
    Think George uses a bucket with a pump and a long piece tubing to fill the tank!
    He mixes hot and cold tap water into a bucket in the sink ...adding dechlorinator for 240 litres before he switches the pump on I guess!
    hoggie

RobinsonAquatics likes this.
  9. Martin Osmond

Martin Osmond Member

Something i have learnt since keeping Malawi cichlids as they can be less tolerant to any change in water than other fish is to prep my water for 24 hours before my weekly 50% wc.

I use a water butt, heat and aerate it the day before. Have seen a massive improvement in my fish since doing it this way. Also helps to stabalise the ph as this will be higher 24 hours after coming out of the tap so the ph of the water i add to my tank is th3 same as what's already in there.