• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how to plant Hemianthus callitrichoides

brrr

Hello

First of all, I'm from Belgium, so in a way my technical english doesn't reach very far, there for, my apologies for wrog spelled and wrong built words/sentences.

I retarted my aquarium(hope this word is the same in english) about 6 months ago.
I aplied CO2 system, lequid plant food, new and better lights(spectrum and Kelvin)

and yes, my plants are doing better then ever before, but still I'm not happy.
I have red and green plants doing great, buti have no boddemplants filling the gaps...

within 2 days my Hemianthus callitrichoides will arrive and I know i will have 3 pots containing that plant.

now how do I plant it best, so it becomes a nice boddem-mat?
do i plant the three like i get them, in three "bushes"
or do i take litle pieces and plant them 1 by 1 not to far from eachother.

I hope I made myself clear, so I have 3 Hemianthus callitrichoides ordered, when they arrive, do i plant them like i get them or do i take litle pieces from them?
which way is the best and/or fastest to get a nice field of it?

and last question: does it realy need a lot of light? it will not grow beneeth plants like red tiger lotus(Nymphaea Lotus)?
if not, which plant might fill up all the gaps between the big, high-growing plants?(and stay relativly low like the Hemianthus callitrichoides)

thanks in advance
Bert

welcome to ukaps :wave:

the easy way of planting HC is to split each pot into 4-5 smaller clumps then plant them. you can leave some of the rockwool on them, that way they dont come out of the substrate as easy.

for a midground plant i would recommend micranthemum micranthemoides or micranthemum umbrosum, they bush out well under good lighting.

to grow these plants about 2wpg would be enough

thanks for replying! :D

If i can make 4-5 clumps out of each pot, I will sertainly have enough haha.

how far from eachother can I plants these smaller clumps?
2cm (yes we use cm lol) from eachtoher in all directions? or is that to much for the clumps to grow in a relatively fast way?

micranthemum micranthemoides and micranthemum umbrosum are very nice plants, but they grow to high. like the HC I need a plant which grows in none-direct light and stays low.
I think with that plant and HC i can fill all the empty spaces and it would look very nice.

thanks again :thumbup:

thank you very much

the video illustrates perfectly how to cut and to plant them.

do you guys allways plant the plants before there is water in the tank?
or was this just for the video?

because I allways let the water run a few days before planting anything.
CO2 levels, pH and so on must first be set (well I do it)

thanks,
within 2 days the plants will arrive and I'll try to set up a nice carpet.

it does grow in less lightend areas aswell?
another link said that it would grow high up to 15cm...
if so I'll only plant it on well lightend areas.

btw: if you see any miss spelled words, and you have the time to correct my mistakes,
I would greatly apreciate it! :D

regards
Bert

Hows about Pogostemon helferi for a transition plant? Higher growth than HC, lower than HM, and doesn't mind partial shading.

hmm

not a bad idea at all
I've had Helferi before, but my brother gave me some applessnales(this is a literly translation from dutch)
and they ate there way through the helferi. (it doesn't only look like salade it must taste like it too :lol:)

but now they are gone, yes I can try that.

actually I will note it down and it's on the first place of my list!

thanks again ;)

Back