• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to plant marsilea hirsuta?

I've read that you need to completely cut of the emersed grown leaf and leave just the stem part that is attached to the runners and roots? Or do you plant it with emersed leafs and wait until new submerged growth comes then cut the dead emersed leafs? How deep to plant? Do I plant it down so just the leaf us showing above the substrate?

Last edited:
I think either is fine. Cutting off emersed growth from plants such as crypts is something the pros like to do, it saves them a job later and probably complaints from disgruntled customers.
I prefer to leave the leaves on, it gives some immediate impact until the plant has adapted and in the meantime it's obvious what I've planted and where, which is handy if I change my mind and want to rejig.

Ok cool, think I will do a mixture leave the leafs on sone have the impact and not be paranoid that I've damaged all of them. Should I plant them with the whole stalk and just leaf showing? Some of the roots are brown I'm assuming once planted and established white roots will come through? Thanks for your help

Ok cool, think I will do a mixture leave the leafs on sone have the impact and not be paranoid that I've damaged all of them. Should I plant them with the whole stalk and just leaf showing? Some of the roots are brown I'm assuming once planted and established white roots will come through? Thanks for your help
Marsilea is actually a fern, so the roots are supposed to be brown - in most other plants, you are very right: the newest roots should be white (or very whit-ish).

Back