• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to plant trimmings with next to no stem?

LancsRick

I've just got some lovely looking staurogyne repens trimmings from Logi-cat, and now need to plant them. I've never tried planting trimmings like this before (i.e. no roots, and a few mm of stem below the cut), so I was wondering how best to anchor them in my tank?

There isn't enough to get a lead weight on. Do I need to just let them float for a few days for them to start putting roots out of the cut so I can then plant them?

Ok, I'll just do some fine lead crafting!

Trimming leaves is always an option but I'd rather not, they're lovely plantlets.

LancsRick said:
Ok, I'll just do some fine lead crafting!

Trimming leaves is always an option but I'd rather not, they're lovely plantlets.

Forget the lead and trim the leaves. The nodes where you remove the leaves will produce roots and new side shoot. You only want to leave the top 2-3 pairs of leaves on when you plant them. :thumbup:

Edit, if they are tiny, like 1cm-2cm long then you can grow them emersed, just sitting on top of damp substrate or compost.

They're in!

stauro.jpg

Back