• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how to remove bark off wood?

jarthel

I found a tree trunk last Thursday and some of the bark is still stuck to the wood.

anyway, what's the best way to remove the "fresh" (it seems greenish upon inspection) bark? I'm drying it out in the sun but I'm hoping to try it in the tank sooner rather than later. Would soaking loosen the bark more quickly?

I soaked it overnight last night and it was tannins galore. :( Maybe it's better to soak it so I can remove the tannins and bark at the same time?

thank you :)

If it's still got green wood I would be very cautious about using it. You want the wood to be well and truly dead before using it. The sap in the wood could cause water quality problems.

Depending on the size of the wood, you may get away with drying it out on a very low heat in the oven (be careful!). I wouldn't rush it though. Safety first!

SteveUK said:
If it's still got green wood I would be very cautious about using it. You want the wood to be well and truly dead before using it. The sap in the wood could cause water quality problems.

Depending on the size of the wood, you may get away with drying it out on a very low heat in the oven (be careful!). I wouldn't rush it though. Safety first!

But once that wood stopped leaking tannins, I suppose it's fine to use?

the wood is too big (around 70cm in height and 46cm at its widest). It's summer here right now and I'm hoping the hot aussie sun will bake it for me :)

Back