• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

how to stop floating plants being buffeted on the surface

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Airline tube or plastic straws create a circle, keep them out or keep them in! whatever is the best usage in your case!

fd5R6x7.jpeg

Sam66

I tried airline tubing but it didn't always float consistently so I have switched to fishing line across the tank at surface level attached with small suction cups. Working well so far.

LondonDragon

Administrator
UKAPS Team
I tried airline tubing but it didn't always float consistently so I have switched to fishing line across the tank at surface level attached with small suction cups. Working well so far.
had a bit of styrofoam to 3-4 sections and it should float ok ;)

Parablennius

I think it's more to do with water drops on the leaves causing "lensing " burns damaging them. Floating them in a corral does no harm if you want to keep them in a specific area, allowing light penetration etc.

Sam66

I think it's more to do with water drops on the leaves causing "lensing " burns damaging them. Floating them in a corral does no harm if you want to keep them in a specific area, allowing light penetration etc.
Agree about the water drops being the main issue but the roots on mine definitely improved once they were corralled and not free to float round and round.

PARAGUAY

I,ve been advised that the use of floating plants will help my tank but i have a turbulent surface so how do you keep floating plants from being buffeted about? most images i see on floating plants is on a calm surface.
Can you aim the flow downwards a little assuming your filter as no adjustable flow setting

ian_m

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
1648456113384.png

After trying numerous ways to keep my "floaters" under control, all ended up in failure with "mass breakouts" occurring. The picture above does include a ring made from airline, which clearly didn't work.

1648455960112.png

In the end I bought a 3D printed plastic ring from Ebay, specially for "floater control" and it works wonderfully well, keeping them in place.

Attachments

• 1648456078697.png
    1648456078697.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 33

kayjo

I've tried using a floating ring to corral the floaters, but they still deteriorate quickly as long as they're in the current . I my experience, you need to keep them away from the current.