• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

how to tie moss...

unless you're doing moss stones I wouldn't bother with hairnets, (you can buy them for 18p in bodyzone), they're perfect for riccia and moss stones but I've always found it easiest to use heavy weight brown nylon cotton thread.

i might have a go at doing a moss stone just so i have some spare. i will try with the fishing line i think.

how long would moss survive submerged in a plastic tub? 2 or 3 days?

I kept a jam jar full of christmas moss in my window for 4 months doing water changes everyday...

cool right thats excellent. does it matter if the hairnet is fine? or does it have to have reasonable gaps. - having never bought one!

You ideally want those body sponges, the sort you see with lynx gift sets. Hairnets are a little bit too fine by and large.

woshhhhh, you totally lost me there. i dont even buy the lynx stuff! i have a look around on the net so i can get an idea.

what is the best way to make a moss wall??

best thing to tie the moss too and....
best way to attach the wall to the aquarium

I have just bought THIS MESH from eBay and i am hoping to grow a moss wall.

I want to plant it for one side of the tank to begin with, so i am going to cut it to a smidge under the height of the tank, but double the length (so it will fold over on itself). Then i am going to silicon suction cups to the edge to hold it in place.

Ahhhh yeah, i must remember to put some moss in between the folded mesh BEFORE i zip-tie them together!! :p

Does anyone have a good suggestion for the moss to use in a moss wall... anything other than Java please. ;)

ChristmasMoss.jpg

Yep this is exactly the effect i was after. Thanks.

I had also been recommended Taiwan moss, but am i right in thinking this prefers slightly lower temps?

thefubar said:
I had also been recommended Taiwan moss, but am i right in thinking this prefers slightly lower temps?

I have grown taiwan moss at 25deg. My tank can go up to 31deg on hot summer days - the moss has always been fine.

a1Matt said:
I have grown taiwan moss at 25deg. My tank can go up to 31deg on hot summer days - the moss has always been fine.

I will keep my eyes peeled for some Taiwan moss in the future. I have just bought a bulk load of Xmas and should have the backing mesh this weekend. I have changed my mind and i am going to use the suggested shower puff for the front of the wall as i think the mesh i have will be too restrictive to grow thru. I will take a few pics of this and the java moss getting attached to the bogwood too.

thefubar said:
I will keep my eyes peeled for some Taiwan moss in the future.

Keep your eyes on the want\swap\sale section. I'll put some on there when I trim my taiwan moss wall in the next week or two.

a1Matt said:
thefubar said:
I will keep my eyes peeled for some Taiwan moss in the future.

Keep your eyes on the want\swap\sale section. I'll put some on there when I trim my taiwan moss wall in the next week or two.

Many thanks guv. :)

Back