• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to Trim?

JenCliBee

Hi peeps i have a plant which was ID'ed on here as a Hygrophila species..... how do i trim it down?. It's growing out of the tank now.

Do i just literaly cut if through the stems? or do i aim for particular parts of the stem?

thanks in advance :)

jen

You can just cut the stem. If you start trimming quite low, it will bush out.

You do cut through he stems. The ideal place to cut is just above a leaf pair (as this is where the new shoots will come from).

If you want a bushy effect, do your first trim so that you only leave a stem of about 3 inches. Let the stems grow until they're spreading on the surface again, and then trim them again a bit higher - 5 or 6 inches.

You can replant the trimmings if you don't have enough of a particular plant.

When the whole lot eventually starts to look a bit messy uproot the whole lot, take cuttings off the nice new growth and start again with them.

Mark

rawr said:
You can just cut the stem. If you start trimming quite low, it will bush out.

Cheers for the quick reply m8, will the stem continue to grow still though after cutting? as in upwards from the actual cut itself?

vauxhallmark said:
You do cut through he stems. The ideal place to cut is just above a leaf pair (as this is where the new shoots will come from).

If you want a bushy effect, do your first trim so that you only leave a stem of about 3 inches. Let the stems grow until they're spreading on the surface again, and then trim them again a bit higher - 5 or 6 inches.

You can replant the trimmings if you don't have enough of a particular plant.

When the whole lot eventually starts to look a bit messy uproot the whole lot, take cuttings off the nice new growth and start again with them.

Mark

Cheers m8, pretty much answered every question i had :)

thanks to both of you for the speedy replies :)

jen

Here's a great writeup from the Tutorials section describing trimming most types of plants:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=236

Generally, trim them low, behind the lower plants in front. You should find the plant splits in too two stems just below the cut. Then as the stems grow back trim them back a little higher. They'll split again. Repeat this untill you can't trim any lower than their ideal height and then let them grow out, and rip them up and start again :lol:

Steve, I'm on dial up and it's taking me forever to find it over on APC, but there's a trimming timeline on there I found invaluable if you can find it.

SteveUK said:
Here's a great writeup from the Tutorials section describing trimming most types of plants:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=236

Generally, trim them low, behind the lower plants in front. You should find the plant splits in too two stems just below the cut. Then as the stems grow back trim them back a little higher. They'll split again. Repeat this untill you can't trim any lower than their ideal height and then let them grow out, and rip them up and start again :lol:

Cheers steve, will take a good look.... you never know i might actually learn somethink lol

Steve, yes that's the one. Many thanks. Gives a good overveiw on what to aim for and what it looks like for those with a visual bias.

Back