• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to wrap up a tank for a blackout??

PM

I am supposed to be in the first day of my 3 day blackout due to my BGA problem, but I don't know how to wrap up the tank!

I have covered all the glass sides with thick black card, but how do I do the top? I tried draping towels over it but they dipped in the middle and got soaking wet!

Also I can't find the original lid for the tank anywhere!!

Obviously it needs to be something that won't let any light in, I still have lily pipes etc to contend with, any help would be great! :?

You could use several rigid bars rested on top of your tank to support anything you drape over it. Something like off cuts of wood etc. Anything rigid and long enough to go front to back.

If you weight the corners of the towel down with whatever is lying around it might not drape?

What about going to a supermarket and getting some cardboard boxes? You can cut them up to cover the top and then always double up with some towels on top.

LondonDragon said:
When Clark (Superman) did it, he just taped some bin liners all around the tank, that did the trick ;)

Yup, did the trick. Just needed like "rubble sacks" from B&Q (or any other main DIY store) as normal bin liners are a bit see through.

I'd only warn that whne I undid it, there was loads of condensation in and around the plastic. So be careful when removing near electrics.

20081021006.jpg

Goodygumdrops said:
Might be a good idea for anyone doing this then to cover with a bath sheet first and then plastic (to soak up condensation).
Yep and don't leave your light unit inside it ;)

Goodygumdrops said:
Lol,this is good though,we NEED idiots guides. :)

Are you inferring something? :lol:

That tank wrapped up looks like it's going to be posted! I thought it was stop light getting in, not make it airtight!

Back