• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How would you filter this tank?

seb tries to scape

Hello all. I’m debating filtration options for this tank and am interested in hearing your thoughts.

It’s an Aquael tank of a fairly standard size. 60cm wide, 30cm deep and 30cm tall, something like 55ish litres.

It’s going to become home to my Betta, who is currently in a Dennerle 30l nano cube (pic of him in his current home attached for reference.) It is filtered with an Oase FiltoSmart 100 Thermo using a spin glass outflow to diffuse the flow but maintain high filtration. It’s been successful for the past year and I like the filter.

Question is, would you just keep the FiltoSmart 100 on the larger aquarium or would you be looking to scale up to something else?

I prefer external filtration and like to always over filter my tanks.

The new setup will be ‘aqua scaped’ and fully planted in case that is of relevance.

Thanks in advance 😀

Attachments

• C5BFDEDA-4D03-4AB1-8DE4-38F8BE74C159.jpeg
    C5BFDEDA-4D03-4AB1-8DE4-38F8BE74C159.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 227
  • DEB1E71F-3DDE-4F73-BACF-2BD4FE2EBF73.jpeg
    DEB1E71F-3DDE-4F73-BACF-2BD4FE2EBF73.jpeg
    987.2 KB · Views: 157
Cheers. The Biomaster 250 is probably the filter I’d go with, if I do upsize. Had the 600 on my larger aquarium for 2 and a half years and really happy with it.

Of course, keeping the 100 makes it cheaper and forces me to shut down the 30l tank, whereas if I buy a new filter for this, I could convince myself to keep that running alongside this.

Do I want more tanks? Obviously! Do I want the added maintenance burden, hmmm….

As @Conort2 said. Especially since your going to have plenty of plants and a very low stocking level, and if you can maintain good flow throughout the tank, I would just stick with the Oase 100 Thermo for your new 55L tank.

Cheers,
Michael

Worth thinking about the amount of extra flow you will get with a larger filter. Betta's prefer stillish water and given that it's going to be the only fish in a planted tank your bio load is going to be relatively small. Personally I would stick with what you have.

Depending on the scape I would use something with between 500 and 700lph.

I in the past on a tank of the same dimensions have used eheim 2224’s, tetratec ex700, ex1200 and jbl 900e and a sponge filter. Depends on what you’re doing and the scape, iwagumi or very open scapes can get away with less, dense scapes more.

It’s going to become home to my Betta, who is currently in a Dennerle 30l nano cube (pic of him in his current home attached for reference.) It is filtered with an Oase FiltoSmart 100 Thermo using a spin glass outflow to diffuse the flow but maintain high filtration. It’s been successful for the past year and I like the filter.

Question is, would you just keep the FiltoSmart 100 on the larger aquarium or would you be looking to scale up to something else?

I prefer external filtration and like to always over filter my tanks.
Always better to over than to under filter. I think the Filto 100 is on the low end for that tank. HOWEVER, it all depends what you will be doing. If it's a low tech, I would probably say it's enough. Perhaps adding a skimmer in order to have a good clear surface and improve gas exchange but other than that it should suffice. If you are going high tech I would use bigger filter though. Perhaps a Filtosmart 200 would be more suitable. It will also depend on how dense it's planted and what restrictions there is for water flow but since you are having a beta I suspect it's best to stay on low flow side.

Cheers all.

The over filtering debate is what’s leading me to question whether to upgrade.

It will be a nature aquarium, triangular composition with wood (already have the hard scape) and relatively densely planted with a full carpet rather than sand foreground. Unsure on CO2 yet, but likely yes.

If I bought a FiltoSmart 200 or a BioMaster 250, I’d probably run them at reduced flow and not full pelt. Would likely use a spin outflow again too as it’s proven to be very effective with the Betta.

I know that the FiltoSmart 100 on the current tank gives a real world output of circa 288 litres/hour as I tested it earlier this year. The Betta is happy in here (HMPK male, no super long flowing fins) and that’s nearly 10x turnover on the current tank. It would be around 4x turnover in the bigger tank, doable but on the lower end of comfort. If I buy a larger filter, I know I’ve got capacity in reserve and have the option to repurpose the new tank as a traditional community setup when the Betta eventually says his final goodbye to me.

Let’s be honest, from a bio load perspective, the Betta and 15 or so horned nerite snails won’t touch the sides but I love the flexibility over filtration gives you regardless.

I’m still split, but slightly tipping toward upgrading the filter at the moment.

I don’t ‘scape quickly, bought the tank and hard scape a month or so ago, probably won’t get round to planting it up and cycling it until the Christmas holiday period 😂

Ooo. I mean. 15 nerites is quite some, I tend to keep about 1per 10l, I find they generally tend to starve if you get loads.
Oh maybe 15 is a few too many! I’ve got 6 in the current 30l, maybe I’ll use 10. I don’t use any other algae eaters in Betta tanks though

Let’s be honest, from a bio load perspective, the Betta and 15 or so horned nerite snails won’t touch the sides but I love the flexibility over filtration gives you regardless.
If you plan on having wood and rocks with epiphyte/moss and such be careful. Nerites are bulldozers.
It will be a nature aquarium, triangular composition with wood (already have the hard scape) and relatively densely planted with a full carpet rather than sand foreground. Unsure on CO2 yet, but likely yes.

If I bought a FiltoSmart 200 or a BioMaster 250, I’d probably run them at reduced flow and not full pelt. Would likely use a spin outflow again too as it’s proven to be very effective with the Betta.
Not sure of the carpet you are planning on having but if you are adding CO2 you will need to make sure Co2 distribution is on par. Also keep in mind that if your tank is fully planted with a substrate the actual filter will be your tank not your filter. Filter will mostly be there to provide water movement co2/fert distribution. Many people actually remove all media from the filter except for a sponge or so to allow the filter to perform at its peak or near peak capacity and filter heavy debris. Personally I prefer to add some media because this allows me to cycle a tank faster after a tank reset but other than that there isn't much use for it biologically speaking.
Anyhow I'd be you I would get a Filto 200 and a skimmer. That's what I have on a 60cm tank and work great. For a betta tank I would probably reduce the flow on both as the betta do no like moving waters.

Last edited:
Back