• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How would you plant this?

seedoubleyou

So here’s my hard scape, I’ll start a build thread later down the line with more details.

I plan on stocking Altum angelfish and rummynose tetra.

My planting plan is purely epiphytes; anubias, bucephalandra, pinnatifida, maybe ferns.

Appreciate a different eye, is there a way of incorporating this into a different planting layout? I’m open to any suggestions and will map them out in my head and on paper.

Thanks,
Chris.
92979389-D968-4EBA-9252-3A3B01CBE087.jpeg

Attachments

• 699CBB74-F639-4B3D-9B90-22BC86B91D7D.jpeg
    699CBB74-F639-4B3D-9B90-22BC86B91D7D.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 7F367BA4-F70B-475E-8FDE-F2E25C5BEBFF.jpeg
    7F367BA4-F70B-475E-8FDE-F2E25C5BEBFF.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 75819018-450A-40B8-9BB2-603189CE00C9.jpeg
    75819018-450A-40B8-9BB2-603189CE00C9.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 105
It looks more ready for corals to be added - I thought it was a marine set-up when I first saw it - for the epiphytes you've listed though, the H. Pinnatifida likes more light and CO2 than the other choices so I'd have that at the very top. I'd stick the ferns in the main gap in the middle of each piece about 1/3rd of the way up so they can bush out and fill the open spaces to the sides. I'd keep the Buce lower down where it might be a bit more shaded, and fill in the gaps with the Anubias.

I'd also add plenty of floating plants, or turn the lights down a lot, otherwise algae is going to gave a field day.

So here’s my hard scape, I’ll start a build thread later down the line with more details.

I plan on stocking Altum angelfish and rummynose tetra.

My planting plan is purely epiphytes; anubias, bucephalandra, pinnatifida, maybe ferns.

Appreciate a different eye, is there a way of incorporating this into a different planting layout? I’m open to any suggestions and will map them out in my head and on paper.

Thanks,
Chris.View attachment 185480
Is that fake rock or the real deal? If it’s real it’s looks like it’ll harden your water which is no good for altums. They like the softest of water.

With something like altums I’d always for for long branches and tall plants which complement their body shape. Sword plants and vallis if it’ll survive in their water.

Cheers

That looks very similar to marco rock which is calcium carbonate. If so it will leach into the water and play havoc with your Ph. If you were going with Rift lake Cichlids it would be ideal but I'm not an expert on the effects in a planted tank but Phil or Wookii amongst others should be able to help here.

Another thought, what sort of sand is that, again reef sand would not be a good idea.

Last edited:
Appreciate the comments. The scape is made from ceramic, I believe it’s inert and won’t effect the water. But I’m happy to be corrected if I’ve got this wrong.

The sand is regular aquascaping sand, but a valid point if it was aragonite or something alike.

Angels aren’t an absolute, I’d love altums and have seen plenty aquascapers keep them in minimalist hard scape only tank. ADG springs to mind.

Have to agree, i first thought it was reef set up.
It was meant for that, however I really can’t be bothered with starting a reef up again so coming back to freshwater.
I’d like to create something that at first glance looks like a redd but is In fact freshwater.

It looks more ready for corals to be added - I thought it was a marine set-up when I first saw it - for the epiphytes you've listed though, the H. Pinnatifida likes more light and CO2 than the other choices so I'd have that at the very top. I'd stick the ferns in the main gap in the middle of each piece about 1/3rd of the way up so they can bush out and fill the open spaces to the sides. I'd keep the Buce lower down where it might be a bit more shaded, and fill in the gaps with the Anubias.

I'd also add plenty of floating plants, or turn the lights down a lot, otherwise algae is going to gave a field day.
Thanks @Wookii , there’s plenty of controllability in the lights and they’re not overly powerful anyway (50w). They’re actually reed tank lighting and will likely be changed if the white spectrum isn’t up to task.

I plan on real heavy water changes 75% a week on this system, if I go with the larger fish. I’ll siphon water in as i siphon out to minimise any stress.

The Altums may not be achievable in this setup as i understand they’re delicate fish.

Perhaps just a school of rummynose would add enough to the tank, in terms of movement.

Speaking to everyone so far. I think the Altums would be a little selfish of me. They’re a stunning fish that I’d love to keep but this isn’t the system for them perhaps.

I also think that this setup needs a real sense of scale and large fish would detract.

Perhaps a smaller pair of cichlids would work better?

What about Rainbow fish? not to large and very nice colouring, there are quite a few that will live in hard water, if not all.
Really pretty fish, Ideally I’d like something that schools or tightly shoals.
It sounds very picky I know, but I really dislike the look of fish swimming here there and everywhere.
That’s why I thought tetra and Angels would be a perfect balance between a fast moving fish and a slow moving peaceful group of fish.

Perhaps another species of tank reared angels should be up for consideration. Most fish nowadays are accustomed to hard water as generations of them have been bred in it.

Nothing wrong with being picky, its your tank and your money, you do it how you want it.
I am waiting on some harlequin rasboras to put in my Discus tank, i think the copper colour really stands out and compliments the green of the plants.
There are many Angelfish which are tank bred, I think a few silver/yellow Angels would be very nice.

I do like the harlequins they’re a lovely little fish.
I certainly won’t be rushing with this and now it’s been highlighted I’ll be looking into my hard scape more to research it’s potential effects on my tank.
I’ve got a house move on the horizon too, so plenty of time to research and move slowly.

I’ve always jumped in too fast in this hobby. Great becasue I’ve had all sorts of setups and fish, bad becasue I’ve never gone long term on a project.

Speaking to everyone so far. I think the Altums would be a little selfish of me. They’re a stunning fish that I’d love to keep but this isn’t the system for them perhaps.

I also think that this setup needs a real sense of scale and large fish would detract.

Perhaps a smaller pair of cichlids would work better?
Not sure on the size of your tank but it does look much too small for a group of Altum angels unfortunately...perhaps one of the Laetacara species would suit?

Not sure on the size of your tank but it does look much too small for a group of Altum angels unfortunately...perhaps one of the Laetacara species would suit?
(It’s 90cm)
Would totally agree that it’s too small for Altums, especially adult size.
With the best intentions I would upgrade when the time came and would purposely keep them in this smaller tank as a means of better acclimating them to aquarium life.

That said life can often impact those best intentions, so perhaps another very valid reason for not keeping Altums.

Would everyone agree that rummynose tetra are a safe staring point for fish stocking, and make a great dither fish.

Would totally agree that it’s too small for Altums, especially adult size.
Yeah that’s a no go for altums unfortunately. They’re big fish fully grown.

If you still want angels leopoldi are a great wild type to go for, a lot smaller than altums and even normal scalare. Not the easiest to get hold of though.

Yeah that’s a no go for altums unfortunately. They’re big fish fully grown.

If you still want angels leopoldi are a great wild type to go for, a lot smaller than altums and even normal scalare. Not the easiest to get hold of though.
I had come across the leopoldi during research. They may well be the ones to go for if I can find them. Ideally I’d like to view some and pick the best ones.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Back