• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Howdy from Colorado, USA

AlannaBrake

Seedling
Hi y'all -

My name's Lanna and I stumbled on UKAPS while troubleshooting my melting plants (they're revived and thriving now thanks to your great tips!). I'm brand new to the planted tank universe and excited to learn. I have already seen many enviable setups in the few threads I've visited, and everyone here seems lovely and helpful.

I ran fresh(46gal), salt(29gal) and brackish(46gal) fish-only tanks for about 5 years but then had a 5 year hiatus when I couldn't afford to keep up the habit. Now I'm back and charmed by the challenge and beauty of live plants.

Here is tonight's photo of my 2 week old low-tech 46 gallon (174 liter) bow-front. No co2 system yet but dosing with Flourish Excel, Current Satellite LED+ 36" strip lighting, and an old H.O.T. Magnum 250 filter. Will be adding a herd of handsome guppies tomorrow afternoon to keep the Betta active. I'm opting for easy-care fish so I can focus on listening to the plants until I get the hang of this.

I know this specific landscape config has been done thousands of times before... but it's the one that hooked my interest so I had to try a variation of it. ;)

pWh9b6n.jpg

I can't tell you how excited I am that my melting plants from last week are now flourishing and beginning to reach out across the substrate (I feel like an all powerful goddess, muah-haha!); I'm hoping the Dwarf Baby Tear carpet will be able to fill in without CO2 assistance. Think I have a chance?

Looking forward to learning and growing with y'all. Holler if you have any thoughts on the setup.

Cheers!
Lanna

Hello lanna, welcome to ukaps, I was given loads of help on this forum... Lovely set up, will look even better was filled in. Are you considering adding moss to tree? Like the path you have created, perhaps some cosmetic sand or stones? You'll need a lot of light for carpet, dosing c02 will help, perhaps EC if you not up for pressurised set up? Go luck, don't forget to update ...

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips, y'all. I can tell I'll initially be spending a lot of time here learning the lingo and abbreviations, haha!

Steveno, yes I had been planning to add moss to the tree but then decided I sort of enjoy the barren look for now. It's winter here so it seems fitting... maybe I'll add the moss this spring so the aquarium tree can leaf-out with the trees in the neighborhood, just for sh*ts and giggles.

I just got a deal today on a used CO2 tank, regulator and PH controller so it looks like I'll get to play with some CO2 soon. Quite excited. :)

Cheers!

Hi lanna, nice intro and I like what you've done so far keep up the good work:) cheers Kirk.

Back