• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Humanity VS Earth

dean

Humans can be the most caring and at the same time the most careless species on earth

Earth is definitely being strangled and poisoned each day by us, this makes me ashamed, In my opinion technology isn't always progress!

If I had a time machine I think I would be very tempted to go back in time and assassinate some of the inventors

1. Abraham Gesner - produced the first parrafin (kerosine) I believe this lead to to crude oil being valuable

2. The Chinese guy who invented Gunpowder- the only good thing this is ever used for is fireworks

Many times I sit and wish that there were not as many humans in the world
Plus when an epidemic breaks out I don't ever feel sorry for the people I just think nature is trying to slow down the infestation of humanity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dean,

Sometimes we look only to the bad things brought by people. Always is another side of its. Without parrafin scientist never been able to put under the microscope different kind of cells, some of them bad, coming from tissues that need to be studied for finding a cure. If Alfred Nobel had not invented dynamite in 1867, we would not have tunnels, highways, mining, etc. Stil, dynamite kill. Alexander Fleming dicover, by accident, penicilin that saved a lot of lives. Now, we face antibio-rezistance, that select bacteria killer. So is just a matter of how we use these things.

Technology is not a progress always, but only when it is used against us and our environment. This remind me about some people, back in my country, that consider the communism was far better than the life we have now. But they are very confortable in the front of TV with 120 channels, they are going every week end in super-market, they are driving their cars daily, they speak by mobile phone all the time, etc. Still, they are very persuasive in explaining how good time was then, when all people have a job, no care for tomorrow, no stress, ... But I always ask them something to what they cannot answer. It is very simple to have that again : cut down electricity from 6 pm to 8 pm every day; reduce TV channels to only one and only from 6 pm to 10 pm, from which 2 hours is about Ceausescu and the party; pay for a car but wait two years to get it ... and when you get it, remember you have the right to use only 30 litters of gasoline per month; empty all shops from meat, eggs, coffe, bread, ... one piece of bread per two members of the family is enough, 10 egs per month, half of kg of meat per month, one kg of sugar per family, etc... everything on list by name and by number of the members of the family; refrigerator, TV, cooking machine ... all on the waiting list, for minimum 6 months.

So, it all depends what side of the moon you want to have ... or to see!

I don't think science or religion is to blame for the state of humanity. I think both were invented with good intentions but the interpretation has been changed over time by people for their own ends. If you look at a lot of the major inventions historically most of them were originally thought up by the military and then trickled down into civilian life. Just seems we are quite good at finding more and more ways of destroying things the good people come along and find better uses for them.

At times with everything that's currently going on in the world it seems like humanity is a lost cause but I firmly believe that good people far out number the bad and good will prevail. There's no other option really.

Crikey Dean that's a pretty jaundice Malthusian view of humanity. We are indeed living through turbulent times...but try to keep faith with science and technology and the best that human nature has to offer; it's proven Thomas Malthus wrong in the past, the green revolution is one example.

It may not have all the answers at the moment, but it continues to advance at an exponential rate, and we're making incredible breakthroughs and discoveries every day.
Our children will be much better off because advances in GNR (genetics, nanotechnology, and robotics) will transform humanity and in ways we can not yet imagine.

I think within a generation or two many diseases will become history, pollution will become increasingly more manageable, and hunger and poverty distant memories of human suffering.

Problem is @Tim Harrison an optimistic view doesn't make a good news story, it doesn't sell papers and only gets a 1min slot at the end of the news as a shaggy dog story so unfortunately we only get fed pessimism via the media.

People need to get active, complain and remember that you control the government, they work for you not the other way round. With the tech we have available to us we can bring down injustice. People's voices can now be heard on mass and Government have to listen if they want to stay in power which ultimately is what they want. The hunger for power in insatiable, look at the world leaders, Putin, Trump, Johnston (Trying), Gauve (Trying) Kim john whatisface. All narcissistic bed wetters. They use media to create paranoia, we all think someone is coming to take things from us so we want to protect ourselves and waste money inventing more and more elaborate ways of killing people when it could be better spent saving people and giving everyone a better quality of life. If leaders would knock off the rhetoric and sabre rattling the world would be a much better place to live.

I remember watching something by Brian Cox about solving the energy issues of the world where he claimed that the investment required was the same as people spend on dog grooming, so what do we want, an end to fighting over the limited planet destroying resources that are left causing the richest countries to build better weapons, forcing the poorer people to have to flee to other countries with food and water just to get demonised further creating more hatred while their leaders get extremely rich and more powerful off the proceeds? Then they buy more weapons to protect what they already own usually from us which then get used against us when we fall out or use them to suppress their own people.
OR
Do you want a dog with a nice hair cut?

The choice is ours, the world has gone mad but we must never give up on restoring sanity. My only pessimistic view if I have one is that right now we have some very, very dangerous people in charge of some big nations and I just hope that the "Good people" manage to somehow get them out of power before the sabre rattling turns into something far more dangerous. We've been so close before and I don't think we've ever been so close as we are now. A simple accident or misinterpretation could kick things off right now.

Last edited:
The choice is ours, the world has gone mad but we must never give up on restoring sanity. My only pessimistic view if I have one is that right now we have some very, very dangerous people in charge of some big nations and I just hope that the "Good people" manage to somehow get them out of power before the sabre rattling turns into something far more dangerous. We've been so close before and I don't think we've ever been so close as we are now. A simple accident or misinterpretation could kick things off right now.

This sentence should be writen on the walls!

We have passed through this situations before. If we look back in time, Cuba missile crisis, Vietnam war, economy crissis, ... every time we, as humanity, found resources to recover ourselves and to thrive. The only painful question is : with what cost? But yes, we were never so close to a such a bad situation. Or, maybe we are part of a repeated history! Probable, before first world war people said the same. Probable, before second world war, people said the same. And, before Vietnam, Korea, Irak, September 11, people said the same. If this is a pattern, then we just said the same. Before what ?

I think within a generation or two many diseases will become history, pollution will become increasingly more manageable, and hunger and poverty distant memories of human suffering.

And by then we have Morlocks living in caves eating our pretty girls raw.. :D

Ah...H.G. Well's The Time Machine; a cracking good yarn. So you think us aquascapers will evolve in to the Eloi, rather than photosensitive ape-like troglodytes...:eek:

Dunno, maybe we evolve into those pretty girls getting eaten.. :confused: But after seeing that Tiger Mosquito doc lately i rather think we evolve into filter sponges..

:(If everyhthing evolve to a global warming, I prefere to evolve to something like this :

WtNTjQR.jpg

At least we will have oceans at our disposal! ;)

At least we will have oceans at our disposal! ;)

Looking at the size of the chunk of ice that's just broke off in Antarctica you soon will have the ocean at your disposal, right through the middle of your living room :D

You don't know haw true is that you said. According with calculations (from scientists, of course) I will have a nice beach at 10 km from my home ;)
So, maybe I should prepare myself with some umbrelass!

You don't know haw true is that you said. According with calculations (from scientists, of course) I will have a nice beach at 10 km from my home ;)
So, maybe I should prepare myself with some umbrelass!

I think you should get some cocktail glasses too

I wasn't be all doom & gloom about politics & religion etc I was just saying humanity is the worst plague to of hit our beautiful blue planet

All the good inventions like penicillin etc just make things worse from the planets point of view,
We only ever invent things for our benefit, better weapons so we feel safer, better medicines so we live longer, better stuff tats makes inventors and companies rich
We are just a parasite that nature can't control

Imagine your dog had a infestation of blood sucking ticks and no matter what you did to them you could not eradicate or even slow down their population
They would eventually kill the dog and self destruct
That's how I see the human race,

Yes, people make stupid and even terible things. Yes, we distroy a lot from the beauty of the Earth. Yes, we eliminate entire species. Yes, etc.
But, imagine that tommorow all people will disappear from the Earth. In a few decades Earth will recover itself. Then after ... what? Whoever will
see how blue and beautiful it is? Whoever contemplates the forests, waterfalls, oceans, mountains, fish, insects, other animals or rocks? What for
all these will exist? For itself only? Even your words will not gonna have any means.

It will be only this, a beautiful spider in a rose, in my garden ....

W3VRPYi.png

... but who will admire it?

Back