• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Humidity over moisture

That is amazing but can it be real ? Surely it cant have been sealed for 40 years ? No trimming etc

I'm well impressed if it is true , I would love to do something like this, it would be so interesting !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well I think I shall grab myself one of these Friday
5607145898_582f8c9404.jpg

Should be planted up Monday :lol:

I don't think you need to open up the tank at all, the plants are producing C02, I have certainly left my tanks for weeks on end completely sealed.
The Victorians were very keen on bottle gardens & some fern displays were corked for years on end, so nothing new here LOL.
I definitely have a book somewhere that describes the plants & methods the Victorians used.

Theres a demijohn on ebay for £35 looks very similar in shape I wonder if the misses would notice me sneaking it into house :)

Reactions: tim
Hi all,
think the container shape plays a big part as it allows the condensation to form & drip, that guys appears to be using some type of acid storage bottle
It is an "acid carboy", they used to be popular for bottle gardens, but are in short supply these days as conc. acids are stored in smaller containers now.I don't see any reason why a large sealed bottle couldn't remain green for at least 40 years.

The original idea was the "Wardian Case" <Wardian case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia>, which were developed to allow explorers and plant collectors to bring back living plants from Australia etc in the days of sail.

The most famous use of the "Wardian case" was probably on HMS Bounty, sent to the S. Pacific to bring back Breadfruit trees to the W. Indies, where they were intended to be a cost-effective slave food. Things went a little awry on the first attempt, but
On this second voyage, they successfully collected 2,126 breadfruit plants and hundreds of other botanical specimens and delivered them to the West Indies. The slaves on Jamaica, however, refused to eat the breadfruit, so the main purpose of the expedition was ultimately a failure. However, breadfruit is today a staple in Jamaica.
cheers Darrel

Carboy, been driving my mad LOL... they used to be two a penny in Guernsey 20 years ago when the greenhouse industry (tomatoes mainly) fell apart.
Available in clear & green tint, you could see them lying around the derelict vinerys but, now all the glasshouses have gone along with the carboys!
I am going to put out a plea on our locale EBay to see if I can get one or two...

Hi all,
Available in clear & green tint, you could see them lying around the derelict vinerys but, now all the glasshouses have gone along with the carboys! I am going to put out a plea on our locale EBay to see if I can get one or two...
I had a look a while ago for a green tint one, but there weren't any locally. They were from about £25.

cheers Darrel

I've just looked on eBay and I have found one right near where I live but they are looking for £80 !! I've offered half that .
See what they say , there's quite a few around the £50 mark but a little to far away :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back