• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hybrid Juwel sponge/ceramic questions

leemonk

Hey,

After a strong recommendation I am going to be playing around with my Juwel filter shortly and creating a hybrid sponge/ceramic setup.

I have a RIO internal filter and the plan is to have the following (bottom up).

2 blue course pads
1/2 bags of fluval ceramic media
1 blue fine pad
1 thin wool pad.

1. Do you think my choice and position of the blue pads is correct?

2. I was trying to avoid using any media from my last tank as it had a very bad case of algae that I couldn't get rid of or identify. I used what I thought were some clean plants and stuff in a nano tank and it is just as infested now as my old tank.

I really want to avoid buying new ones as they are damned expensive. The old ones are completely dry and have been for about 2 months. Is it a risk putting these back in or will have being out of the tank this long killed any possible signs of algae?

Regards

Lee

Lee,
It's an extremely bad policy to think of algae as some kind of infection that is transmitted from one tank to another. Algae blooms start in the mind of the aquarist, not in their tank. I mean, do you seriously think that not using media from the old tank will in any way prevent algae in the next tank? I can throw algae infested plants or algae ridden rocks in my tank and the algae will simply disappear. This does not happen because of magic or because of some special skill. It happens simply because I keep my tank clean and my plants healthy. It does not matter what the condition is of the plants, rocks, or media you put in the tank. It only matters how you manage the tank. If you follow the same bad procedures in the new tank as you did in the old tank you will get algae. If you put your old media in the new tank and adhere to the correct procedures then the tank will not suffer algal blooms, regardless of how "infected" they were. Algae rule the planet as if they were the Roman Empire. Our behavior either bores them and puts them to sleep, or it inflames their passion.

You are not asking the right questions.

Cheers,

Thanks for the response and without providing a direct answer you have probably answered most of my questions......

Though, I am sure you already know that :)

Also.... you have just saved me approximately £20, which is great too.

I am following the Walstad style tank and I hope that I have researched enough to keep it in order.

Regards

Lee

Back