• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydor inline heater

John Starkey

Hi all,i have often thought about adding one of these,but was concerned about how much flow i will lose,what are the for,s and against please before i make up my mind,

John.

I can do a before and after test for you tonight if you'd like john? I'd be interested to see how much flow they "steal".

Garuf said:
I can do a before and after test for you tonight if you'd like john? I'd be interested to see how much flow they "steal".

Cheers garuf,your a star mate :thumbup: ,

John.

Very little as they are smooth bore aren't they, in my mind the trick is the installation. Make sure the pipes enter straight and leave straight if you know what i mean no crimping etc. I don't think your will notice any change myself.

Andy

Mine has quite an audible "click" when it comes on, that bugged me a bit as I could here the click even through the unit doors!
I took it out in the end, I use a Eheim compact 3000 pump & that has a 19 mm ID outlet, much bigger than the Hydor heater (12 mm ID I think) so the flow was restricted in my case.

nah, they're noticeably bigger on the inside and are somewhat collared, you know when you have one on a filter lets say. Just getting ready to post a before and after will update once done.

Hi John
I run these on my tanks and think they are very good. I haven't done any strict tests, but run two filters on each tank, one of which has the hydor, and icant see any difference between the 2 outlets. As Andy says, keep the pipe runs smooth flowing and you should be fine. You can get 16mm or 12mm ones.

Just make sure you tape the temp control dial once you have set it, as there have been numerous reports ofpeople accidentally catching the dial and not realising, resulting in a cooked tank :(

Tony

Right, after getting the carpet damp, in one minute without the filter drains 7.4 litres. I did this 4 times and it varies between 7.2 and 7.6.

With the heater the filter drains between 5.6 and 6.1 litres, I make this to be around about 110lph less flow, which is a lot more than I was expecting, this is with a tetratec ex700 and the hydor eth 200.

Back