• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydor Koralia water pumps

John Starkey

Hi All,has anyone tried these pumps yet,any feedback on how god they are,regards john.

I am running the Koralia Nano in my tank. So far never had a problem with it, works great, very silent.
I do think for my size tank (Rio 125) I should have gone with the Koralia 1 instead. I have read reviews from other people that they make some noise initially but then goes away. I did not experience this.
Also some people say they look pretty ugly, I like the look of them in comparisson to other circulation pumps. I place mine just above the CO2 glass diffusor to spread the bubbles all over the tank and works great.

I've got a 1 in my tank and it did make some noise to start with but mainly because I positioned it so that bubbles collected in the pump so it cavitated!

Like LD I could have gone for the next size up really and may upgrade at some point and use the 1 in my other planted tank.

Hi

I've just fitted a Koralia 2 in my 300l tank last week. Like every one else, I think I could have done with the next size up !

I had no noise at all with mine. One question I have regarding them, is whether you should run them 24/7 or just when light / CO2 are running? I have 2 filters running too, so the koralia is just to boost the circulation.

Tony

Tonser said:
One question I have regarding them, is whether you should run them 24/7 or just when light / CO2 are running? I have 2 filters running too, so the koralia is just to boost the circulation.

I only have mine running when the CO2 is on so the water circulation is lower at night for the fish and I'm saving a bit of power too! I don't think it really matter either way though.

I have the nano one in my 180 from time to time.
It is noisey to start but once in the water you don't hear a thing.
The only problem I found was that certain times when I put it in, it caused a whirpool as it was too close to the surface.
They're much better looking than other powerheads and the output is not as focused as others.

Just got mine today - Koralia 1 on a ~100L tank.
Nice piece of kit, flow is more spread out than the juwel powerhead I was using for circulation, so the fish don't get pinned to the glass if they choose to cross its path :twisted:
Slightly bigger than I was expecting though!
I'd say <80L you'd want the nano, <180L you'd be better with the 1, so on so on.

I have the 1 in my 125Ltr and run it 24/7. Stops the detritus from 'resting' on the substrate so along with giving a good flow, blowing at the diffuser making the bubbles divert all over the place and rippling the surface it is doing multiple jobs really.

I have mine about an inch below the surface pointing straight across to the opposite side above the diffuser and the opposite corner to the in/out of my filter, therefore it pushes along the back where it hits the glass and goes down and around where the filter pushes along the front.

AC

Hi All,thanks for the feedback guys,one more thing is the flow rate controlable,regards john.

i had 2 x 2 korolias on my 4 footer. i now have a 1 on the MA scape, a long with a fluval 405. there brilliant things truly!

Hi All,i dont want to overdo the flow rate thing so i was thinking of getting a size smaller than you normally would,i have 450ltr to move around,can you adjust the flow rate?,regards john.

john starkey said:
can you adjust the flow rate?

john mate, you cant adjust the rate, but actually there's no real need to. they work in a great way. it's not turbulence you get, it's a real nice soft flow(if there's such a thing)

if you got 450L and your getting one I'd get the no.2 at least. on my 240L when fully planted i still had the odd area unaffected, but with 2 x no.2's and an eheim 2028 it was great. all the crypts swayed nicely. fish loved it too.

hope that helps matey. the one thing though....they get bigger in size as you go up the no.'s

Hi Saintly,i already have two eheim 2028s turning it over with good surface movement what i have noticed is when the odd leaf comes loose it seems to go half way acroos the tank mid depth then it floats to the top,so i think i have good surface movement but not whole water body movement,so i think i will be getting one of these pumps,regards john.

Definately worth investing in a Koralia pump John, I've recently added a Koralia 2 to my setup to move the Co2 more effectively, and it has made a marked difference to the flow all around the tank.

Hi John,

I have 2 x 1ns and a nano in my discus tank,with 2 eheim externals, if your just looking for better circulation then i have found these have done a very good job and in a bigger tank two smaller would be better than one large one IMO

James

Apparently you can get adjustable flow rate Koralias as well:
www.hydor.it
but for some, unknown reason they've put them in the marine section :?:

Back