• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydor Koralia water pumps

I think it's only the 'Magnum' versions of the Koralia that are compatible with those fancy pants units, so the Nano, 1, 2, 3 etc won't work with it! Looks a bit expensive and overkill though! :eek:

gratts said:
I think it's only the 'Magnum' versions of the Koralia that are compatible with those fancy pants units
No, it's the ones marked as 12V units. From Nano through to Magnums. But I haven't seen them in the UK yet.

I don't think it's adjustable flow as in that each unit can be adjusted lph wise.

The flow direction is obviously adjustable by being able to point it in any direction from the pivot.

These units were designed with 'wavemaking' principle behind them for marine. Then you attach several to the 'computer/wave controller' and it can turn them on and off as a program to give the waves.

It then gives you tidal possibilities and all sorts of options. The controller may be able to alter the throughput but it isn't clear from the website.

I assume the min and max are when the units are clogged up and clean but I would think it is more a case of the controller being able to reduce the flow and increase the flow.

AC

the wave makers are mainly for the marine trade but freshies ( as the marine lot ) call us ,,,, can use them as well if u want.

the normal powerheads can not be used on timers ( wave makers ) as they cant take the change of power, this is all info given by paul i think it is ( the main UK hydor rep ). and some marine users have ignored this and used them on wave timers to find they die within a month, those of use who have them will know that when we un plug and re plug in they tend to rattle until they bed in and get going. this is why they cant take the continual change of electric to create waves.
they do have larger powerheads out as stated but these are only available as normal powerhead usages not on timers in the UK ( i believe anyway ) this is based from my experience from the marine side and still talking to a few mates and people in the trade.
instead in the UK after several years we now have the new polario pump which is not hydor.
but this is rather big and chunky bit of kit which sucks from one end and blows the other then switches to suck and blow in the opposit direction and is powerful.
there is also the VorTech powerhead which the main motor sits out side the aquarium and only the prop is inside thus no heat is given out into the water. it works like a magnetic holder and transfers the current this way also , people have said this is a fantastic thing but if not lined up exactly with the outter section is noisy as anything , and will remain so until u line it up.

Try rotating the pump around so the slits are in a different position. There's one point where there aren't many slots and if this is at the top then you won't get the same suction from above.

Superman said:
Using my Koralia, I find that there's a whirlpool created from the surface. It's about 3 inches from the surface now and it still happens. Any ideas how to stop this?

i use it to my advantage, it helps clear any crap on the surface. not unless it makes the sucking noise. just lower it!

I got my korailia 1 the other day and i'm pretty impressed. The rippling effect i gives is very benificial for oxygenation as well as clearing crap from the surface.

One question though, How do you guys have yours? At the moment mines at the back of the tank, underneath my filter outlet pointing directly across the long face of the tank. It look slike the flow is pretty parallel to the wall.

Any advances on this setup?

Currently, my koralia is just below the surface on the left hand plane of glass but as far back as it'll go. It's just next to the neck of the filter's inlet strainer as I found that the koralia pulls more past it that way.
It's also pointed towards the middle point of the front glass (so at about 45 degrees from above) so it helps my spray bar which goes from back to front in the middle of the tank. As soon as I turn it on the other day, I noticed loads of much being kicked up which I thought was never there. I need to get a 2nd one soon to assist the flow from the other corner.

Tourney said:
My Koralia 2 is positioned half way down the right hand side with the Co2 diffusor right underneath it :D Blows that Co2 all over the place 8)
Thats what I have been doing with my Koralia too, works great at spreading the CO2 all over the place :)

Mine's the opposite end to the filter, above the CO2 diffuser, pointing to the front glass, left of centre so the CO2-rich current is blasted along the HC and Glosso carpet.

Hi All,i recieved my koralia 2 this morning and fitted it right away,i am absolutely well impressed with it,excellent circulation,ubelievabley quiet,my Denasoni barbs love the extra flow,they seem to take it in turns to swim as fast as they can into the flow then just get blown back to the other side :lol: ,i highly recommend these pumps,regards john.

Back