• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydra removal

Hi all,
You've got me concerned here Ali, not seen any in my tank ever so I do hope the moss is not the culprit, wouldn't want to bring dread on any other member.
I don't know where they come from, I always have some and if I feed a lot of small Daphnia or micro-worms they really spread.

A lot of people have associated them with feeding BBS, but they definitely don't come with the brine shrimps, so it is another case of a lot of small prey items = plenty of hydra. They must come in with plants etc. and even if you get one it can spread asexually.

cheers Darrel

Or you could also use a no Planaria treatment. Made from betal nut and made with shrimp keepers in mind too :)

I have gone ahead and dosed with Fenbendazole it seems to have done the trick and the shrimp seem fine. I've even seen the newborns I was convinced had bitten the dust. I think in futer I'm going to stick with shrimp products just had a bit of a panic when the hydra showed up yesterday

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

One dose wiped them out and shrimp are all fine :) also have enough left to last a life time!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I have read that Asolene Spixi will eat hydra.
I've read that as well <Spixi Snail>. Pond Snails (Lymnaea stagnalis) are meant to eat Hydra, but no-one told the couple I put in. Another creature that is alleged to eat them, but doesn't, is the Dwarf Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis pumila).

cheers Darrel

A lot of books also say Dwarf Gouramis Trichogaster lalius will eat them, but the only hydra outbreak I have had was in my DG tank.

Hydra are quite interesting to keep for their own sake, in a jar of their own where they won't do any harm.

Back