• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydra strategy advice

Hi @MissATV yep, what @Wookii said. I measured by tipping onto scales on a bit of paper, ground it up best I could with the back of a spoon, then dissolved it in a bit of water before chucking in. (I needed such a tiny amount it was easier to put a weight on the scales then add on top of that.) It all looked a bit The Wire.
Don’t worry if you still end up with white bits in the tank - they eventually dissolve.

I used a liquid Panacur with equal success, It made me smile as I bought it from pets at home so had to create a fictitious dog, they even asked me it's the name and how old it was. I'm not sure if they would have sold it to me if I would have said it's going in the fish tank...

I used a liquid Panacur with equal success, It made me smile as I bought it from pets at home so had to create a fictitious dog, they even asked me it's the name and how old it was. I'm not sure if they would have sold it to me if I would have said it's going in the fish tank...
If it helps any I once had to buy baby diapers for a horse :lol:

Hi all,

I powder it with a <"pestle and mortar"> and tip it in. Rather than try to weigh out really small amounts, I divide it <"into portions by eye">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel,
I will do it like that then. Do I need to do a water change after or can leave it in for a few days?

Also is it worth treating the whole tank (has all adult fish in and no shrimps) if I only saw 4-5 and I removed them manually? Could they still be present but maybe not visible to the eye? Or there is such a thing of only a handful which won't get out of control.

My main concern is I use the same tools to clean the shrimp tank and I am afraid I will transfer some over where they could cause a head ache to shrimplets.

I understood it to be snail and shrimp safe.
I would do regular water changes afterwards, as you you will be killing off any worms you have in the gravel causing a possible nitrate spike.

Hi all,
Do I need to do a water change after or can leave it in for a few days?
I'd probably leave it for a few days. I carry on with water changes, but I only change a small volume of water (every day)
if I only saw 4-5 and I removed them manually? Could they still be present but maybe not visible to the eye? Or there is such a thing of only a handful which won't get out of control.
I always have them, but they only become apparent in tanks where I feed a <"lot of small live food items">, and particularly micro-worms.
as you you will be killing off any worms you have in the gravel
I'd be less worried, it only kills nematodes, Hydra and Planaria, it doesn't effect annelid worms (or leeches).

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I'd probably leave it for a few days. I carry on with water changes, but I only change a small volume of water (every day)

I always have them, but they only become apparent in tanks where I feed a <"lot of small live food items">, and particularly micro-worms.
How odd I fed some whiteworms(quite large) and brine shrimp recently. I also introduced some new guppy grass off ebay and I blame it on it. I dont think they're thriving though I can see 1-2 in each of my tanks now so tomorrow I'll take the plunge and add the panacur to them. I am quite nervous to not affect the livestock, its fully safe for fish right?

Anytime I've had hydra I did one dose and that was enough.

In fact I just did a dose yesterday on my new tank.
Thanks for the reply. How long do you leave it in the tank? I've seen online some people dose it 3 times in a week. How quickly did you notice results?

Thanks for the reply. How long do you leave it in the tank? I've seen online some people dose it 3 times in a week. How quickly did you notice results?
It's not something you need to remove. You add the dose of Panacur and you'll notice results within 24 hours. Usually after a couple of days the hydra will be all gone.

I have no idea why people are dosing multiple times in a week, unless their tanks are plastered with hydra lol.

It's not something you need to remove. You add the dose of Panacur and you'll notice results within 24 hours. Usually after a couple of days the hydra will be all gone.

I have no idea why people are dosing multiple times in a week, unless their tanks are plastered with hydra lol.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, so much conflicting information on shrimp diseases. I've kept fish tanks and disease wise are very easy to spot and treat.
Now I'll play the waiting game and hopefully the little buggers will be gone 😃

Back