• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydra

john arnold

just noticed the little fecker last night in appisto fry tank, read thar dog wormer powder does the trick cab anyone confirm this wont kill the fry
Cheers

Last edited:
Got rid of mine with dwarf gouramis. Not sure how useful that is to you. £3 for a gourami though.

Hi all,
just noticed the little fecker last night in appisto fry tank, read thar dog wormer powder does the trick cab anyone confirm this wont kill the fry
Cheers
"Panacur" (Fenbendazole) works and is pretty non-toxic, you can buy it as granules via ebay, as well as as a 10% solution.

There are details here <"Hydra removal">. The Panacur isn't instantly soluble, but all the bigger fragments will eventually go into solution. I roughly crushed them up with a pestle and mortar, put you could use a rolling pin with the granules in a plastic bag.

Rather than trying weigh out 0.1g in 10 gallon (~50 litre), if you buy the 1 g sachets, pour the sachet out and divide it into five equal portions by eye. Each portion will then treat 100 litres of water.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,"Panacur" (Fenbendazole) works and is pretty non-toxic, you can buy it as granules via ebay, as well as as a 10% solution.

There are details here <"Hydra removal">. The Panacur isn't instantly soluble, but all the bigger fragments will eventually go into solution. I roughly crushed them up with a pestle and mortar, put you could use a rolling pin with the granules in a plastic bag.

Rather than trying weigh out 0.1g in 10 gallon (~50 litre), if you buy the 1 g sachets, pour the sachet out and divide it into five equal portions by eye. Each portion will then treat 100 litres of water.

cheers Darrel

That is excellent instructions man thanks very much, ill give it a go

Hi all,
hat is excellent instructions man thanks very much, ill give it a go
I got the amounts from <"PlanetInvert: Killing Planaria and Hydra....">.

I think Hydra are a lot more common in aquariums than most people realise. Some of my tanks have run for a long time without any fish, and apparently without any Hydra, I've added fish (either for quarantine or fry to grow out) and started feeding live food (Daphnia, Grindal worms, Micro worms) and the Hydra have miraculously appeared. I don't think they've come in with the Daphnia, so there must have been some present, just ticking over, until the live food bonanza arrived and kicked them into reproductive mode.

I've often had the green <"Hydra viridissima">, which can survive the lean periods by living off its algal symbionts, but I've had non-photosynthetic ones as well.

cheers Darrel

Yeah i actually sprayed hydrogen petoxide on it, it shrank then next day was fine, did it twice and still alive! Super goddam hydra ha.. just wanted to see before i do the wormer solution which i will do a couple of days before i do a water change

Back