• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hydrocotyle sp.japan Carpet

lil-lynx

Just planted the above , so is kinda long around 3 - 6 cm , just waiting for it to root. My question is after its got some decent roots, can I then trim hard to gain a carpet ?

Hi
What I did on my dads Fluval Edge to form a carpet was too force it to the substrate. Take the long strands at the end and push into the substrate as you would the other end with roots, this will then grow roots there. Roots also grow from each leaf witch will also root.

You could also place something to weight it down until it roots from the leaves.

But I'm sure you'll have loads of guys telling you the right way lol

Cheers
Aron

I may be one of the "loads of guys" *lol* - and the above technigue is very precisely how I do :)

It's a lot of work - trying to make sure each leaf root actually roots into the substrate. Some sort of 'U' shaped pin could help to keep them down (like a wire tack)...anyone used anything like this that doesn't rust? Also I've noticed that some leaf nodes produce multiple leaves - any reason for this? Is it where the plant has been trimmed?

It's a lot of work - trying to make sure each leaf root actually roots into the substrate. Some sort of 'U' shaped pin could help to keep them down (like a wire tack)...anyone used anything like this that doesn't rust? Also I've noticed that some leaf nodes produce multiple leaves - any reason for this? Is it where the plant has been trimmed?
Iv seen somewhere on here that someone used stainless steal and bent them into pins. So that should work ok to help root.

Most plants garden/aquatic when cut above a leaf node will then produce multiple stems. This is how you make your stems bushy :)

Not too sure if this plant does the same or if it only grows new shoots once rooted from the leaf node ??

Sure someone will put me right if I'm wrong :)

Cheers Aron

I just trimmed it like how I trim carpet plants - mow them over. In a high tech tank, they grow really quick. I had to trim them weekly to avoid them spreading into other plants like stems. My carpet wasn't as compact though.

Here's what mine looks like, from an overgrown and hastily shot IAPLC 2012 entry.
DSC03108_1000_zps4d0622fb.jpg

Right so I have the carpet going in the right direction , but its not as compact as id like and its not as close to the gravel as I would like either , I shall post some photos im not sure if its due a trim , its been 2 weeks.

Sorry about the poor photos , just a quick point and shoot, and just fighting with some green spot algae at the moment ( new tank , only 2 weeks old)

Back