• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

hydrocotyle sp Japan in cat litter

nduli

hello

anyone got experience of rooting japan in cat litter ?

The tank is already flooded.
I have some cory's and sakura in there so am thinking i need to weight it down, is lead weights the best way to go?
do you need CO2 to get it moving, wanting to try and get it to carpet? does it grow ok with easycarbo?

any help appreciated - richard

I grow it with EC in different types of soil from light to heavy ones so no worries there, don't use lead, just constant trim it to make it grow horizontally.
Corys might uproot it, try and bury it a bit deep if they become a nuisance. Not the best plant for a flat lawn but after it thickens it looks great.

Mike

I had it in a low tech with cat litter and corries didn't need to weight it down.

cheers tim

I grow it with EC in different types of soil from light to heavy ones so no worries there, don't use lead, just constant trim it to make it grow horizontally.
Corys might uproot it, try and bury it a bit deep if they become a nuisance. Not the best plant for a flat lawn but after it thickens it looks great.

Mike

mike - daftest question ever but when you mean trim, you mean cut like you would grass? i am asking because i am wondering whether taking the top off cause it issues?

rich

You can cut it like grass, if you don't have any issues (algae outbreak due to poor CO2/flow/filter maintenance) in your tank it will grow again fine.
I usually cut the runners that aren't rooted and replant them (individual leaves) if I need to fill some areas or cut the leaves that don't look good.
You can also mix it/plant it in moss.

Some examples:

1. Carpet:
8448788126_7d719f57f8_h.jpg

2. Mixed with moss
7008927501_51c7d35876_h.jpg

It's also a plant that does well if you just press it down once in a while. Gives a nice thick bush effect.
<----- like so
Really depends on what you want to do with the plant. But it doesn't mind being trimmed at all.

Also, if you want, it makes for a lovely plant in your window. (needless to say it does well in emersed scapes as well as it can thrive out of water too)
tumblr_mji6erkzqg1s8585io1_500.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_mji6erkzqg1s8585io1_500.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 108
    79.7 KB · Views: 81
You can cut it like grass, if you don't have any issues (algae outbreak due to poor CO2/flow/filter maintenance) in your tank it will grow again fine.
I usually cut the runners that aren't rooted and replant them (individual leaves) if I need to fill some areas or cut the leaves that don't look good.
You can also mix it/plant it in moss.

Some examples:

1. Carpet:
8448788126_7d719f57f8_h.jpg

2. Mixed with moss
7008927501_51c7d35876_h.jpg
It's also a plant that does well if you just press it down once in a while. Gives a nice thick bush effect.
<----- like so
Really depends on what you want to do with the plant. But it doesn't mind being trimmed at all.

Also, if you want, it makes for a lovely plant in your window. (needless to say it does well in emersed scapes as well as it can thrive out of water too)

great posts both, thanks. as soon as i stop running round the country like a nutter i'll get an order in for some. thanks

Rich

Attachments

79.7 KB · Views: 75
    79.7 KB · Views: 68
Back