• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydrocotyle tripartita as an epiphyte?

Steve Buce

Can you use hydrocotyle trip. as an epiphyte/ floating plant or does it need to be planted in substrate?

I’ve had it do fine - soft water + moderate CO2 + Tropica fertilizers

Victor at Green Aqua used H tripartita as an epiphyte in the aquascape he set up for the new gallery, but then it was removed after some months as taking over the scape

It grows well for me in high tech set up. It doesn’t exactly grow on wood but will rapidly trail over it if you wedge/stick it to the wood. As mentioned it does tend to take over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the water column is sufficiently fertilezed, than yes it doesn't need substrate.. Tho substrate can be a lot, for example from the lfs you get it on rockwool, i've growen this plant on filter sponge in the sump, it can hardly be called substrate, but its called a good "grow medium". Thus there can be used different types of medium to give the plant the ability to anchor its roots in or around. Think of mosses and or even other epiphytic plants like anubias. Than the Anubias attaches as epiphyte to the wood and the H. tripartita can use this to tangle its roots around.

Substrate or grow medium can be a very versatile, very porous piece of lava rock can be a perfect medium to grow plants to. Example when it's crushed and lays on the bottom than suddenly it's a substrate, if it's in one big chunck it becommes a rock again. But still as a bigger chunck partialy it has the same properties, the plant can still grows its hair roots into the rocks porousity. :) Doesn't make the plant an epiphyte, but the growing concept is simmular.

We need to make sure the plant gets what it needs over the water column if the medium it grows to doesn't have that.

Thanks for the replies, i like the look of it when it trails out from other plants, ill buy some and give it a go in the blue neo tank and hope it grows

Back