• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydrogen Peroxide for oxydator

Aqua360

Hi all

I'm setting up a tank for some shrimp, I'd like to use the sochting oxydator but for whatever reason, the dedicated sochting branded solution for it seems to be unavailable or inflated in price.

Would food grade 6% hydrogen peroxide suffice? Or would this have "unsuitable fillers" as I've seen suggested elsewhere online?

Yes that should be fine. I buy 5 litre bottles of 12% H2O2 from a chemical supplier on eBay and dilute it with distilled water.

I've purchased recently Söchting Oxydator and now I'm testing it. Today, I've measured basic data of the tank. Conductivity increased from 52 to 68 µS/cm. That I can understand, if there's any charged oxygen evolved, conductivity increases. What I don't understand is why pH decreased from 5.80 to 4.22. Does anyone know the answer?

Does anyone know the answer?
I'm wondering about such an explanation: What is microbial decomposition of organic matter? It's basically an oxidation of reduced carbon. The end-product is CO2. So, if this oxidation is performed by Oxydator, the result should be quite the same - degradation of organic matter into H2O + CO2.
What do you think?

Hi all,
We have a thread <"Söchting Oxydator">.
The end-product is CO2. So, if this oxidation is performed by Oxydator, the result should be quite the same - degradation of organic matter into H2O + CO2.
What do you think?
I think you are right for any organic matter. If microbial decomposition was limited by lack of oxygen, the extra oxygen production would increase the oxidation rate.
As far as I’m aware though the Oxydator doses H2O2 directly into the tank. The reaction/addition of O2 is just via exposure to the tank water itself.

The small catalyst pieces inside the reactor serve only to produce enough reaction and O2 inside the reactor to force the H2O2 out of the bottom in small continuous quantities through two small pin holes.
In terms of <"strong oxidising agents">, like <"potassium dichromate"> (K2Cr2O7), potassium permanganate (KMnO4) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), they are all potentially more dangerous than <"super-saturated oxygen">.

We have some discussion of damage to mosses (by a Twinstar <"Twinstar..what is it?">) in the <"'Eruption', my lockdown scape"> thread.

If the H2O2 is just <"dripping onto the catalyst in the oxydator">, then the reaction is 2H2O2 ~catalyst~ 2H20 + O2.
....... I'm not sure, I think titanium would do. It is "transition metals" that are the catalyst, and I assume that it is cheaper then silver. Platinum or palladium would presumably be the best options, but more expensive again. I assume one of the reasons for the ceramic is to control the reaction, it is potentially explosive......

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back