• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydroponic emergent 750 litre tank

Damomasts

I started this project in Jan 2020. I was inspired by this guy Indoor plants for water purification and nitrate reduction in aquariums - tuncalik.com - Natural Aquariums and Sustainable Life
I started by removing the soil/compost from the roots of houseplants and then putting them in baskets filled with blown clay pebbles. The basket were then submerged in the tank so the tops were level with the top of the tank. Special clear acrylic stands were made to support the baskets with large holes cut into them to allow for water and fish movement.
I put two LED panel lights in the ceiling above. I don't know what they put out but the plants love them. By Jan 2022, the Monstera had reached the ceiling so I cut them back, putting the cuttings in potted soil to grow on as normal houseplants. The regrowth has been phenomenal and they are now back, close to the ceiling again. There are also philodendron, pothos, syngonium auritum plus a few others that I haven't identified. Filtration is from two eheim canisters but there are a few smaller pumps in the tank to aid water movement. Heater and air stone too.
I top up the water when required, usually once a week but haven't done a water change since Jan 2020. Fish stock is mostly rainbows, with some loaches, ancistrus plecs and a blue Acara.
Just posting to see if anyone else has done anything similar?
Thanks,
Damien

Attachments

• y4m9cQJEAud2RHWGMwaElvFeNe2H5hdoFr4CCkmIRnXKeMKQ4i4gP5J4WarVWW6QrQDvjuKEbumpEeBgM5qRGxJg7MR7Wh...jpg
    y4m9cQJEAud2RHWGMwaElvFeNe2H5hdoFr4CCkmIRnXKeMKQ4i4gP5J4WarVWW6QrQDvjuKEbumpEeBgM5qRGxJg7MR7Wh...jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 160
  • y4mCpNXDnHhsR_hkjdnrvJbrv7_pxzrEuLVH0ODQO0dPTBk9VvIWc3HhbZkBoaViq4OzmWDlNjMQUjB6VnHWje0wdg6ciI...jpg
    y4mCpNXDnHhsR_hkjdnrvJbrv7_pxzrEuLVH0ODQO0dPTBk9VvIWc3HhbZkBoaViq4OzmWDlNjMQUjB6VnHWje0wdg6ciI...jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 127
  • y4mKAYbvAAELnsJMZa_FBTavWs8Qd_vzxeh-WatRebGJxUyU-H1CoqlO2NFx6W_zOnqlAXiaYWvyr5D0sQdL4EtI3HhPmP...jpg
    y4mKAYbvAAELnsJMZa_FBTavWs8Qd_vzxeh-WatRebGJxUyU-H1CoqlO2NFx6W_zOnqlAXiaYWvyr5D0sQdL4EtI3HhPmP...jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 114
  • y4mPd9jh0mIW5loaOrfEcnbXo1yd2jj5z5mgCm_iAZN_pDSkLw96YjlgW5WaUgMpUyirNueb_TMw7EmvDKT0Hk2WZpL3Pa...jpg
    y4mPd9jh0mIW5loaOrfEcnbXo1yd2jj5z5mgCm_iAZN_pDSkLw96YjlgW5WaUgMpUyirNueb_TMw7EmvDKT0Hk2WZpL3Pa...jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 113
  • y4mpnug1pxPn3-OxNiIsz74u8JY3bfAqcObiWOCa3_QIGvVyv8Yo9JEgZhV6mbUvsAbTV0TvpFCF7bLLcbmGKgj0sb2d8b...jpg
    y4mpnug1pxPn3-OxNiIsz74u8JY3bfAqcObiWOCa3_QIGvVyv8Yo9JEgZhV6mbUvsAbTV0TvpFCF7bLLcbmGKgj0sb2d8b...jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 109
  • y4mUPN_nsZuCdSlo2PvKt9-NfKzDNREbgltVqtf6eJb0rNCIe8UmqTXW7JXGjB1cH_-ShpHgRhYw5qUzVae3eKryzQBpH7...jpg
    y4mUPN_nsZuCdSlo2PvKt9-NfKzDNREbgltVqtf6eJb0rNCIe8UmqTXW7JXGjB1cH_-ShpHgRhYw5qUzVae3eKryzQBpH7...jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 118
Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS. I'm another Wiltshire (Corsham) resident, so not far up the road from you.
He gets a <"mention on the forum">. Have a look at <"Best terrestrial plants for Emersed growth"> there are links in that thread to other posts that maybe of interest.

cheers Darrel

Am I correct that, aside from the high lights, there are none immediately above the tank shining in? Are the fish 'happy' in a dark environment like that – I guess hey are – and are there many plants in the substrate that are fine with limited light? From the photos it appears that not much gets through the thick layer or emersed plants.

Hi Alec, There are a few spotlights sitting at the water level at the front and middle which gives some light down into the tank, the fish seem pretty happy and it's lovely to see them illuminate as they swim from the darkness into these lights.
There are a few anubias in the tank but mostly just plastic plants for decor.
Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Damien

Back