• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hygrophila corymbosa compact max size

sari

I have just bought two pots of fantastic specimens of this plant. I have read that it's max size is 15 cm and am wondering if this is true. I love the look of it but can't fully decide on the placement until I get a confirmation.

Any info is appreciated. ;)

There really is no max size (that goes for any stem). As long as it's being fed, it's max size is reached only when you decide to cut it. It doesn't grow nearly as quickly as other hygrophilas though but it can still become obnoxious especially if installed as a foreground plant. I'd use it as a mid-ground if I ever wanted to use it again (which I don't). It doesn't stay small & cute at all, but instead becomes an ugly duckling. Of course the rate at which this all occurs is dependent on light, flow, nutrient and CO2 levels.

Cheers,

Thanks for that! I have recently moved and have set up a new tank with a mature filter and just want easy and fast growing plants to help the transition. I will see what comes out of this plant, hopefully it will grow nice and fast at first with the other stems until the tank is mature enough to easily maintain slower growing plants without an algae problem.

Eventually I want mainly crypts in the tank so some wendtii brown and green is going in as well as a couple feeble bits of beckettii from my old tank... :rolleyes:

The ultimate fast grower is another of the Hygrophilas - corymbosa 'Angustifolia' (Tropica Species #052A). A real Frankenstein. It's the aquatic equivalent of the man-eating plant seen in "Little Shop of Horrors".

Another often overlooked tank starter is the LFS classic Egeria densa, which is renowned for it's sturdiness and it's ability to absorb ammonia.

Cheers,

I have never been able to grow egeria densa... it just disappears to nothing in my tanks both here and back home in Finland... I have some limnophila sessiliflora and hygrophila polysperma in the tank so with any luck I should be ok. I'm dosing carefully with TPN+ and easy carbo and the mature filter should help also. I planted the corymbosa on the sides and corners so will be interesting to see the end result.

Hi sari I can only repeat what ceg has allready said,I had 2 plants that grew through the top of my tank which is 60cm tall,it would be a gorgeous plant if it stayed in it's smaller form,
Regards john.

Mine grows to a max of about 40cm. It sure is a tempramental plant.

Dave.

Wow, quite interesting plant then,full of surprises. Iwould be very happy with 40 cm plant since that is about the height of the tank plus substrate... ;)

Back